Monday, November 8, 2010

30/30--I Start TODAY!

Have you ever opened your closet (the one that is so stuffed with stuff that you can't find your favorite long sleeved T-shirt so you go to Target and buy a new pair of boots to help lessen your grief and then realize, upon moving things around in your closet to make room for the new boots that your T was in there all along) and declare "I have NOTHING to wear!"?

Welcome to Monday night at my house.  Wednesday night too.

Why is it that despite the fact that my closet is bursting at the seams, I have nothing to wear?!!?

Lately I've been really struggling with my propensity toward materialism.  Rather than feel guilty and make no change, I'm embarking on a new journey--because I really believe that conviction ought to lead to action.  At least I do today. Ask me in 22 days and I may have a different answer.

What is this journey?

It is nothing as bold as when I read the Bible in 90 Days (B90X) or when I did the "real" P90X.  But it is a huge move.  For me.

I am doing the 30/30 challenge.

The 411:
The 30 for 30 challenge was the brain child of Kendi from Kendi Everyday and encourages people to pick 30 (or fewer) items from their closet and mix, re-mix, and re-re-mix them into 30 stylish outfits.

The reason:
To prove that with just a little bit of creativity,  you can work with what you've got!

The rules:

1. Pick 30 items or less from your closet. Shoes are included, but accessories, jewelry, underwear, and outerwear are not (thank goodness because I couldn't make it into December without a ski jacket).

2. Remix the 30 items into 30 different outfits.

That's it! Well not entirely ...

3. Don't shop for 30 days.

I'm going all in (and so are 337 other bloggers).



Here are my BOLD choices.

The Basics:
Black T--Gap
Graphic T--Target
White long-sleeved T--Gap
Grey frilly T--Old Navy
See the green shirt in the middle?  It got axed.  I counted wrong :(
The Sweaters/Cardis
Brown--Thrift
Gray--Thrift
Black Turtleneck--Gap
Cream Turtleneck--Gap

The Tops:
White--Gap
Red--??
Brown--Gap
Teal--garage sale
Green--Kohls

The Coats:
Khaki--Gap
Grey--Express
Brown--Thrift

The Skirts:
Khaki--Banana Republic
Multi--Hand-me-down

The Jeans:
Left--Old Navy Diva Skinny
Middle--American Eagle Favorite Boyfriend
Right--American Eagle Boyfriend 77

The Bottoms:
Black trouser--Express Editor
Brown plaid--Gap
Khaki--so old I can't read the tag

The Shoes:
Brown boots--Thrift
Black heels--Target
Black slouchy boots--Thrift
Brown ballet--Gap
Brown Clog--thrift
Zebra ballet flat--Target

4 basics
4 sweaters/cardis
5 shirts
3 coats
2 skirts
3 jeans
3 bottoms
6 shoes
30 Items


For the next 30 days, this is all you'll see me in.  Wish me luck.

(FYI--I was totally emotional picking out the clothes.  My fave red Mary Janes didn't make the final cut. I feel like I'm cheating on them.  Oh, and I TOTALLY am going to wear my snow boots to work but take them off to put on dress shoes.  Even the 30/30 isn't worth risking heels on icy WY sidewalks).

11 comments:

  1. Looking in my PACKED closet and crying out, "I have NOTHING to wear" is one of the main reasons I started my blog! Can't wait to see you mix it up for the next month.
    Just think how much fun it will be to be reunited with your red shoes in 30 days! Just in time for Holiday parties :)
    Leaving the House in THIS?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! Can't wait to see what you come up with. Lately I feel like doing a huge purge of my clothes, I feel like I only wear 20% anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Molly--Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragement. Good job being 1/3 of the way through!

    @Kristen--maybe you should do this challenge too and get rid of stuff you are ignoring :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reagan,

    This is so awesome! I think I may join you on your challenge. I have been struggling with materialism lately and the "I have nothing to wear" syndrome. Thanks for posting!

    Heather B

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally know what you mean about having a stuffed closet and still having "nothing to wear"...I have those days alot!!...but the funny thing is that when I figured out my 30 items I was so excited because I had SO many outfits within those items...strange how a little pressure can give you a whole different outlook!
    I love that fun printed skirt!! Will be interesting to see how you remix it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I can't wait to try that after I have this baby and lose weight ;) I look forward to seeing your fashion creations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Heather--Do it.

    @Natasha--That skirt came right from my sister's closet 10 years ago. I've always loved it but I always wear it the same way--black top and heels. I'm looking forward to "playing" with it!
    I found myself leaning towards all things "neutral" but I did throw in a few fun items--the skirt is my fave!

    @AmberRay--If your maternity clothing is as limited as mine was then you are ALREADY doing this challenge. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greetings, fellow remixer! I can totally relate to the feeling of having nothing to wear despite having a closet FULL of items. Hopefully, this challenge will help me get over that feeling.

    Good luck!

    Kendra
    http://closetconfections.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
    See you on the 30/30!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun challenge!

    Hope you post different ways to match up the same items. :)

    I purged my closet this weekend of ALL the clothes that are too big. I was holding on to a bunch of them for some reason and decided that was dumb. I now own 22 items (not counting gym clothes/tshirts which are in drawers). Our closet looks so funny because Matt's side is so much fuller than mine. Can't wait to see how much I get for all of it at the consignment store!

    But I've been feeling the need to purge other parts of my house too! Time for an organization overhaul!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness you are so brave! I love the idea but not shopping for 30 days would be so difficult. I know you can pull it off and look fab all month!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)