This crock pot roast recipe combines a succulent roast with onion, sweet potatoes, strong beef broth, and surprising spices.
- 1 boneless roast (2 to 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered (enough for 4 to 6 people)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules or beef base
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- dash ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch (or flour) combined with 2 tablespoons cold water, optional (for gravy)
- Trim roast.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown roast on all sides.
- Place sliced onion in crock pot; top with peeled and quartered sweet potatoes.
- Place meat on vegetables.
- In a small bowl, combine the water, beef bouillon granules, celery seed, cinnamon, and pepper. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove beef and vegetables to a serving dish and keep warm.
- Skim fat from juices and serve with the beef and vegetables.
FOR GRAVY (optional)
If desired, pour juices from the crockpot into a pan and bring to a low boil. Add cornstarch/water mixture and stir well. Cook on medium-low until thickened and bubbly. Serve with roast and vegetables.