Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tuesday's Too Clean Tip--Clean Your Oven

Even though my oven is "self-cleaning" I am loath to actually turn on the "clean cycle."  I mean, it smells so nasty in my house for five hours that I'm certain it's not worth it.  The problem is, I don't exactly like the burnt and dirty oven smell when I'm baking cookies either.

What I generally end up doing is spraying some commercial, chemical based oven spray in my oven and then cleaning it and getting a chemical-spray induced headache.  Lovely.
                                                                                                  
                                                                                                               
Isn't there an easier way?

Truthfully?  No.

But there is a chemical free way!

The night before you want to clean, get a bowl and fill it 1/2 c. of ammonia. Close the door and let it sit all night (okay, this is a chemical but it's the pre-wash part so it doesn't count).

The next morning remove the ammonia and let the oven air out for a few minutes.

Now, take 5 teaspoons of baking soda, 2-3 drops of liquid dishwashing soap, and white vinegar and make a paste (you thought I was going to say lemons didn't you?).  Scrub the inside of your oven with the paste and a cotton cloth.  Get a spray bottle and spray with water to rinse then wipe dry.

If your oven is UBER nasty and you have some seriously tough stains, mix 1 c. baking soda, 1 cup of salt and enough white vinegar to make a heavy paste.  Rub all over your oven.  Turn oven on to 500 and leave for 30-60 minutes.  Turn off.  Leave the door closed and allow to cool.  Spray with a water bottle to rinse and wipe dry.

The good news is that this is mostly chemical free.  The bad news is that it still can be smelly (just not burnt-oven/chemical smelly).

If you think you hate cleaning your oven more than I hate cleaning mine, plead your case in the comments!  Wouldn't an "I hate oven cleaning" haiku be fun?

    

3 comments:

  1. I actually love the self clean cycle. Although I usually wait until we are on our way out the door to do it. Is that safe? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A. What happened to formatting today? Blogger has been so weird lately.

    B. Rachael--I'm afraid to leave the house during self-cleaning because I'm pretty sure the house will burn down. On the other hand, maybe it's worth the risk.

    C. What, no haikus?

    ReplyDelete
  3. For a greener alternative to the outdated oven cleaner, here's a spring cleansing tip that will make existence simpler. Mix some bicarb soda with h2o into a thick paste, spread it inside your total oven and leave right away. The up coming early morning you merely wipe it out with a moist fabric.



    Oven Cleaners GoldCoast
    BBQ Cleaners Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)