Monday, June 7, 2010

In Celebration of Hot Dads

Father's Day--June 20th

It's nearly that time of year.  You know, the day when your husband gets to be "World's Best Dad" according to every greeting card, mug, and T-Shirt out there.

When I was growing up my dad always wanted the same two things for Father's Day: cologne and socks (black ones that he'd wear with sandals.  Now do you understand why I'm nuts?).

For some reason, like having it ingrained in me since I was six, I always get my dad, my father-in-law, and my husband really practical gifts for Father's Day (read: cologne, socks, and every now and then, blue underwear with yellow bananas on them.  No, I'm not kidding).

This year I want to break out of the mold and give my husband something that he would love.

Here are some thoughts.

Cologne
If I'm going to get him cologne, I giving him Acqua Di Gio.  If this cologne was a piece of clothing it would be Mister Roger's cardigan.  Classic.  Comfortable.  Sexy (okay, not the first word you think of when you hear Mr. Rogers OR cardigan but trust me, it's awesome).


Fashion
I'm one of those women who TOTALLY lucked out and married a guy with an a-maz-ing fashion sense.  He could (and does, actually) pull of cardigans.  Matt loves to go shopping and he never looks at sizes.  While I'm obsessing over whether I'm a 4, 6 or an 8, he pulls out a pair of pants and says, "These'll fit.  Trust me."  And I do because he's always right (about shopping, that is).

Anyhow, even though he has to wear dress shirts and ties and suits to work, I'm not getting these things for Father's Day.  Instead, I'd look into these:

Super Casual--Super Cool--Did I mention hats and jeans shirts/jackets are hot this summer?


Hoodies and Flips--Tell me I'm not the only one who digs this look?

Country shirt--Thank God he's a country boy (really, Matt graduated with 13 other kids).

Outdoors
My husband loves all things sporty and outdoorsy.  Hiking, road biking, rock climbing, skydiving--you name it, he loves it.

Some ideas if your fella is outdoorsy:

  • Grill set
  • New bike helmet
  • tent/sleeping bag
  • grill
  • tickets to his favorite sporting event
Sophisticated

Even though he can be a bit wild, Matt is at heart, extremely sophisticated.  In this vain, here's what I'm thinking:

  • The book Freakonomics.  Reading ANYTHING written by an economist would elicit tears of boredom from me.  Matt's been drooling over this one for a couple of years.  Maybe this is the year!
  • A really nice pen set
  • A briefcase
  • A Bocce Ball set
Practically Impractical

  • A homemade jar of bacon butter (If you just said ewwwww join the club.  If your husband would eat bacon on ice cream, then trust me, he'll love it.)
  • An acre of land on Mars (talk about Americans being imperialists!)
  • Chuck Norris T-Shirt
Quality Time with a Quality Man
  • Buy Ladder Ball and play a game (or two) with the kids.
  • Pack an amazing picnic get outside for a day in the park, or mountains, or lake.
Home made
  • With your children, put together a skit or song about your husband and perform it for him.
  • Make the un-original breakfast in bed an original 5 Star meal.  Serve puffed french toast, fresh berries in cream, and  3 cheese scrambled eggs with orange juice.  Serve your husband on your best dishes.  Have breakfast by candle light.
  • Give your husband coupons for acts of service (include one sexual act for when kids go to bed).
What Matt Really Wants

Though I've come up with lots of thoughts for Father's Day--mainly just to throw Matt off my trail--I know what he really wants.

Matt has a watch thing like I have an accessory thing.

Here's his latest watch crush--A Luminox Navy Seal Dive Watch.

Well, there are my rambling ideas on what to get the man in your life for his special day.  I'd tell you what Matt's getting but it's G14 Classified.  
Stopping by from the "it" list?

Thanks!

If this is your first time on Where is the ME in Mommy? I'd love to have you take a peek at some of my most popular posts!

Click the following phrases to read up!



7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I need to get on it with planning this day for the hot dad in my house! :)

    Just FYI --you can get three free personalized shutterfly photo cards with the code CARDS4DAD. I think this promo goes until June 10th.(I think?)This is what I got to go with the grandpa's gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...yeah...I have no idea what I'm getting Khale! Time to go shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shelly--Thanks for the tip. I've never been on shutterfly (I know, I know) but I'll check it out. If there is one thing I love, it's something free (which reminds me of a post ...)

    @Sarah--go with the watch. Trust me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the only man commenting on today's post, I would personally go for the watch...although the bacon butter along with some acts of service coupons might run a really close second.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm I wonder who your anonymous commenter is ;)
    Chris wears Aqua Di Gio and I adsolutely love it! I have no clue what I am getting him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm...I have to start thinking about this! It's only a week away, eek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fashion ideas...as well as the watch. Thanks for putting them altogether & reminding me that I need to get on it; quick!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)