Monday, February 8, 2010

How to Become a Time Management Junkie--Part I

My shortfalls are many.

I'm either neurotic or I'm crazy.  But then, I repeat myself.


  • I talk too loud, too much, and too often—mostly about myself and my family (which might explain this blog).
  •  I am very sarcastic. This can be funny when properly used.  When used in battle, it can be downright destructive.
  •  I have a porcupine personality.  Great to see—hard to get close.  I’m not sure why but I’ve always kept people at an arms length and am very slow to warm up.  On the other hand, once we’re close, I stick by you and am hard to get away from (sort of like pulling quills out of a dog’s nose).
  •  I really like things done the right way (read: my way).
  •  I am overly quirky.  I can’t sleep if all the light switches aren’t going the same direction, spoons/forks/knives can never touch in the dishwasher, and wars have been fought over bed making, which direction the open end of the pillows should face and how curtains should be drawn. 
  •  I can be critical and judgmental.  See above. 

One area, however, where I consider myself mostly successful is in time management.

My personal philosophy: When God created time, He created enough of it



Insert warning.  I’m going to be a bit raw and honest in my forthcoming statements.  If you are thin skinned, stop here.  If you want to read it and it makes you mad, sorry.  Please send hate mail to my PR person.

Probably my #1 pet peeve are the people who say, “I don’t have time to ____exercise, read to my children, make a healthy meal, mail a birthday card, pray …_____.”  This extends to the “I’m too busy” people, too.

What I’d really like to explain to those folks is:
  • You are not lacking any more time than the rest of us; you are misusing your time more than the rest of us.
  •  We are all busy.  I know retired people who are busy.  Until you walk eight miles to get water and then carry it back eight miles to the home you hand built where you’ll boil the water over a fire made of sticks you hunted for so you can hand wash your only other set of clothing which you will line dry as you go work in your small garden and care for your animals, the product of which you will use to make your meal from scratch, I don’t want to hear it. 
  • What doesn’t make your “To Do” list says more about you than what does.
  • We are not too busy.  We are too self-important.
Phew.

So I can manage time but I’m not perfect at it.  In fact, I am VERY much a work in progress but I’d like to share some skills and routines that help me decide how to divide my time, talents, and treasures (and still have time to talk to my sister on the phone a couple times a day). 

Okay, after posting the mullet photo twice, I decided I better put in a photo of 
my sister when she looks hot!


Check back for more information on skills and routines I find invaluable.


3 comments:

  1. I LOVE your attitude, Reagan. We should have hung out when you lived in Laramie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so true. I'm a real flip-flopper when it comes to good time management. Sometimes procrastination is a little too tempting and sometimes I go days without talking to anyone on the phone or watching tv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly--Thanks :)

    Sarah--I think the best thing about really learning to manage my time is that I opened up free time. And if I have scheduled free time, there is less need to procrastinate.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)