Sunday, February 7, 2010

Souper Bowl Sunday

Today is the Super Bowl and I must admit that I'm not exactly a fan of pro football.  That being said, I am rooting for the Saints since this is their first Super Bowl bid and the Colts won a few years ago.

Geaux Saints! (only Matt will understand the irony of why I chose to spell Go that way).



Anyhow, what really matters to me on this momentous day in American football (that we have momentous days in sports I'll leave for another day), is the FOOD.

Not too many years back I made Rilda's Kickin' Chicken Corn Chowder for a Souper Bowl party and it won first place. I got a big (and I mean BIG) trophy and everything.

But today's soup is Taco Soup courtesy of Matt's Aunt Amy.  We'll be having chips and queso and so dipping veggies as well.  Mmmmmm.

Amy Brock's Taco Soup


Ingredients
2 lb. ground beef (or turkey)
1 chopped onion
2 pkgs dry Ranch Dressing
2 pkgs taco seasoning mix
3 cans chicken broth
2 cans black beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans northern beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (mild if you need it!)
2 c. frozen corn

Directions

  1. Brown ground beef and drain off the grease.  
  2. Add onion, Ranch and taco seasonings to the beef and mix well.
  3. Add broth, beans, tomatoes, and corn.
  4. Bring to a boil.
  5. Reduce heat.  Stir and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve it up!
Serve with freshly shredded cheese, Frito Scoops, and green onions.  Sour cream makes this divine.

Freeze it!
This is a large batch so if you'd like, set half aside to cool.  Once cooled, put into a gallon freezer bag, lay flat, and freeze.  To reheat, thaw and warm.

**Why cool it first?  If you put this into the oven hot it will produce steam which will freeze as crystals**

Don't like meat?
This is a great vegetarian meal if you replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth and remove the beef.  If you desire, Portabella mushrooms make a mean beef substitute!

Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday!





2 comments:

  1. Following you from the Friday Follow!

    http://stacievaughansblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)