Thursday, April 22, 2010

Things I Love--That's What She Said

Okay, I'm not a huge TV watcher but every now and then I get totally sucked into The Office.  I'd tell you the premise and point but I'm pretty sure there isn't one.



Anyhow, the main character Michael is always saying "that's what she said" to make seemingly innocent comments sexual and dirty.  For example, "How do you like your eggs?"  "I like them hard."  "That's what she said."

Scandalous.

For some reason Matt and I just latched onto this play on words game.  It is super out of character for both of us but for some reason we can't get enough that's what she said.  Really, we do it all the time that's what she said.  Well, not all the time.  We'd never do it in front of our kids that's what she said.

Have you had enough?  that's what she said

At some point and time we'll have to stop this nonsense but for now the little inside joke just makes me giggle and I love it!

So I pretty much have to share the best "that's what she said" EVER.

Over Thanksgiving we were in Nebraska at my mother and father-in-law's house.  My husband's younger brother, Josh (who loves The Office too), was home and we were playing a game of Oh Hell (man, this post is getting racy!  Sorry but that's what the game is called).

Here's a photo with Uncle and the Divine Miss M

 



Can I digress or what?

Back to Oh Hell.  We were on our last hand and Josh and I were basically neck and neck that's what she said.  Before we bet, Josh says, "So the only way I lose is if you get yours and I don't get mine?  THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

Matt, Josh, and I were in a fit of hysterics.  Seriously, I blushed (and I never blushed) and the three of us were laughing so hard we were crying.  It was priceless (especially since I won the game!).

My poor mother and father in-law had no idea what was happening with their kids.  They totally heard the comment but I'm convinced unless you know the context of the comment, you won't get it.  For the time being, we've decided to keep them in the dark.

But if you hear people saying "that's what she said" and you don't watch The Office, now you know why people are doing it.

(Wait, this is getting really good.  Matt just asked what I was blogging about and I said, "That's what she said."  He said, "Really, you like that?  I though you were just doing it to make me happy" that's what she said.  To which I replied, "No, I love it!"  And he said?  "That's what she said").

13 comments:

  1. We say "that's what she said" in our house too. Hysterical blog!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how that phrase has caught on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny, we were in Germany a few years ago with some friends on vacation. My husband is a serious lawyer all day long, but when he is home he is so silly. Well he started the "that's what she said." on that trip and has never stopped. Germany is filled with sausage so there was many opportunities for jokes. It makes me giggle even today. Thanks for this post, glad to know others share our sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a continual running joke with my husband and myself as well. My mom had no clue what it meant until this past Easter, when she used it out of context trying to be funny. We explained it to her, and she was a little embarassed at first, and then had no problem joining in the fun (that's what she said). Oh how I love thee, Office. Parks and Recreation is a big hoot too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with my mind partially in the gutter! Ha.

    Anyhow I have to share this. Last night at Life Group we were talking about when a gal visits our church to lead worship as a guest. And a couple of the people kept saying, "Man, I love it when she comes!"

    Matt could hardly contain himself. I mean he's a giggler anyhow but I was pretty sure that at any moment he was going to break into hysterics and roll on the ground in a fit of pure hysteria. Luckily he managed to keep himself together (until everyone left) at which point he practically screamed, "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Whitney--That's what she said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HeeHeeHee! I was just laughing out loud!

    Yes...we too love this joke! You guys are not alone. It always gives us a good laugh to drop this in a random conversation!

    Whitney ---That cracks me up about your mom. I love that lady & am glad she is in on the joke. I can see your dad appreciating this humor too.

    Thanks, Reagan! I'm forwarding this link to Matt today...he'll be down with reading a mommy blog about The Office! Whit --I'm sure Elliot would appreciate this too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Shelly--Thanks for sharing this. I hope others get a kick out of it too. It brings Matt and I such pleasure (that's what she said).

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Shelly - you know my dad totally is into that humor, and he got the joke from the start. I think it's cute that my mom is innocent like that in a lot of ways. that's what she said.

    One of my favorite Office moments has to be when Phyllis was in charge of buying a gavel for the auction they were having, and Michael says, 'It squeaks when you bang it. That's what she said.' Classic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Last week at our office I was standing near my assistant's desk gathering some files. I overheard in the next room two co-workers discussing how the mailman never puts the newspaper into the mailbox the same way, making it very hard to get out the mailbox. In response the other co-worker simply stated "Yea, I sure wish he would just stick it in there the right way." Naturally, I was laughing under my breath and was going to pretend nothing happened when out of nowhere my assistant blurts out "That's what she said."

    At least I am not the one that will be sued for sexual harassment...

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Matt--It is nice to know that if you do get sued it'll be because of our (shared) inside joke and not because you are a perv.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lol! All of this has me laughing!!! :) I have only seen bits and peices of The Office (because that's how much I get to wath tv) but I really liked what I saw of it. My husband and I share a similar sense of humor, though, so we will have to watch the show now! Enjoyed this post and the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Amy--I'm glad you like it. You should try to catch an episode (or if nothing else, YouTube "that's what she said" for a run-down on some of the best!

    Try this link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-wf2pP7T0Y

    Guaranteed to make you laugh for about 3 minutes!

    Anyhow, today's comments are a lot more fun than yesterday's (not that I didn't appreciate peoples thoughts on thank you cards) because it is so silly and light-hearted!

    Hope you have a great day (and Friday).

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)