So here are the basics:
Now I got some comments and e-mails last week from folks who said they have a hard time using accessories.
Trust me, if you are going to have a basic wardrobe (see above) then accessories will make your style.
If you are like me you don't want to spend $30 on a bracelet. That's why I encourage you to check out accessories from stores like Forever 21 and Charlotte Russe (heck, even Kohl's, Target, and Wal-Mart have some awesome pieces!). Here is a sample spread of what I think are minimum accessories:
The list of what I think are accessory basics:
- necklaces, bracelets, earrings in gold and silver
- a statement necklace, ring, or bracelet in a trendy color (trendy this year are turquoise, tomato, and dusty rose).
- a scarf (I chose white but a color would really be awesome!)
- a black bag and a neutral bag
- ballet flats in black, neutral, and bold
- a pair of sandals (you might want two--one black, one neutral)
- a pair of heels (ditto)
Okay, so if you take a basic wardrobe and mix it up with some basic accessories, here are 5 looks you can achieve (5? I know, I went a little crazy. This is like adult Barbie Doll stuff here!)
Outfit #1--All Dolled Up
Outfit #2--A Casual Affair
Outfit #3--Cool Chic
Outfit #4--Errand Running
Outfit #5--Dinner with Friends
Trust me when I say I had to FORCE myself to stop at 5. Even the most basic wardrobe can be glammed up with a few accessories (and most of the jewelry I have posted is under $6!).
It really is amazing how a bold necklace can change the whole feel of a T-shirt and jeans.
What outfit is most "you"?

They are all great, but I LOVE the Casual Affair look and Cool Chic. I love the red necklace with the blue-jean jacket in the casual look, and I love the bag, bracelet, shoes, well just about everything in the cool chic look. Thanks so much for the tips. I will definitely use this, I might even go shopping for accessories this weekend! :)
ReplyDeleteGood work!
ReplyDeleteI would wear all three but love the "Cool Chic" look and tne necklace in "Casual Affair"!
Thanks for following my blog too! ;)
Julie
Casual affair and cool chic are totally "my" style looks. Glad you like them.
ReplyDeleteJules--Thanks for your post today! Fun. I have to plan an event!
Amy--You'll totally have to send photos (or blog) about your accessories. Last week I got a new necklace ($3), scarf ($5), and bag ($10) from Plato's!
Love them all! #2 and #3 are my daily wardrobes. I LOVE accessories!! I swear that I can wear my most expensive outfit and not get as many compliments as when I wear a pair of great jeans with a black tank, a chunky necklace and bracelet, and awesome bright red shiny flats.
ReplyDeleteI shop like that as well - CHEAP. I find awesome stuff on sale at my fav stores (like Express) but most of my accessories come from places that go mega cheap like Burlington Coat Factory, Target, and Walmart.
I would say that casual affair and cool chic are what I would wear. I really need to use your tips to get me some cute stuff when I lose the baby weight! Can you say incentive!!!!
ReplyDelete