Monday, March 21, 2011

Daniel Fast

Here's the deal--I've been struggling with my spiritual life lately ... and I hate it.  I'm not sure what's really going on but my prayer life and Word life have just been, well, non-existent really.

I sort of need a "shock" wake-up so Matt and I have decided to do the Daniel Fast.  The Daniel Fast is based on two scriptures and is a vegan diet (with more restrictions).  No yeast, no leaven, no sweeteners (including natural sweeteners).  YIKES!

I really haven't fasted much before but I do believe in the power of fasting to encourage one to study, pray, and focus like crazy. 

I am doing this fast to help these areas (click here):

My Body--No, I am not unhealthy but I do believe there are areas of my health that can be improved.  I eat too much sugar and processed junk.  This fast will help detox my body.

My Flesh--Right now my emotions are pretty shut-up (I tend to close down when stressed).  Fasting will put pressure on me and may make me want to: give up, shut down, rebel ... I think seeing these "things" in my flesh and contrasting them with the fruit of the spirit will help me develop good thought patterns.

My Soul--Spending quality time in meditation, The Word, and prayer will help my soul take my flesh captive! 

Mostly, I am doing this 3 week fast to draw nearer to Christ!

But I'm nervous.  I'm anxious that "flesh" desires for tea with creamer or chocolate ice cream will win.  So please, pray for me.

And for my sake, if you have any good vegan recipes, send them my way!

10 comments:

  1. Could you make butternut squash soup if you used vegetable broth to puree it?

    Last week I made my first vegan dinner - roasted broccoli and garlic together and served it over whole wheat couscous (look in the middle eastern section at KS).

    Like I said on FB, I'm really bad at coming up with vegan recipes so let me know if you find any awesome ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be pro-active with changing the areas in life that you want to change rather than ignoring them. That's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really admire you for taking this step. I hope that you will share your experience as well as your vegan recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ladies,

    I plan on posting my first full week menu on Sunday (the 27) that will include breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks as well as links to the recipes I used. I'm taking notes on what I'm eating so I can share in case anyone else want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never done a fast! I wish you lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently started a cleanse followed with a modified vegan diet. Here is a recipe that has become a staple:
    White Bean Stew
    2 cans great northern beans
    1 can vegetable stock
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 shallot, minced
    1 T Italian seasoning
    2 carrots, chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    Pour 2T olive oil or coconut oil in a pan, add shallot, garlic, carrot and celery. Saute until softens about 5 min. Add beans, stock and seasonings (salt and pepper to taste). Cook on medium low 20-30 minutes until it thickens to desired consistency.

    I hope you like it, this recipe tastes really good after a fast or cleanse and is good for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. God will bless you through your fasting! This doesn't mean it will be easy, but you'll see God move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will be praying for you. Please keep me posted on how it is going and how you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks everyone.

    Kristen--that recipe looks A.mazing! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will be praying for you because that will be challenging! I do have a recipe idea though. Buy a whole bunch of different vegetables: broccoli, sweet potato, summer squash, carrot, zucchini, onion, peppers, eggplant and anything else y'all like. Cut them into 1" chuncks and toss them in a big ziploc bag. Sprinkle them with olive oil (is that ok?) and spices like red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, sea salt, pepper, ect and shake until coated. Then roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes to an hour. I usually eat this will a big hunk of cornbread, but im sure you can improvise with something else. ;-) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)