Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What I Think About--Reading the Bible in 90 Days

Element Church , our home church, issued a 90 Day Breaking Free Challenge.  As a part of this challenge, the pastoral staff challenged members to do or change something for 90 days.  Maybe it's breaking free of those blogs you keep reading Facebook games, kicking a bad habit, or praying more diligently.  In terms of change, Pastor Jeff encouraged folks to think about getting into the Word.  The church offered several reading plans: read the New Testament in 90 Days, Read every day for 90 days, and read the entire Bible in 90 days.

I've read the Bible cover to cover before but I'm generally on the one year path of doing so.  Lately my Bible reading has been more sporadic so I decided to read the Bible in 90 Days.  Yikes.

To do this I have to get up much earlier (between 5:30-6:00 am).  I read about 16 chapters a morning and it takes me roughly an hour.  I'm not gonna lie, it's intense.

I've not mentioned this to too many people but the folks who do know keep asking: Are you getting anything out of it?

So here's what I think.

I am spending time in the Word.  Yes, I'm getting something out of it.

In the past, I have had quiet moments in the Word where one passage could rock my world for hours.  Literally, one passage (FYI--right now that passage is Genesis 3:16 "your desire will be for your husband and he will rule over you"--WOW--what does this say about the fight over who wears the pants in the family?  A woman's control issues?  Can I get a YIKES! to that?).  While one passage or even verse can really speak to me, I'm not convinced that it means whole sections cannot.

Before I enter the Word I go before God asking for His will as I read.  I ask for guidance, for my mind to be opened, to hear and see His voice.  And He is meeting me where I am.

Maybe I am not getting as much as if I was reading very slowly (but how could I show it one way or the other?).  But on the other hand, maybe I'm getting more because I'm powering through on the grace of His Holy Spirit.  I'm coming to Him longing to know and understand.  He is graciously filling me.

I can't even begin to tell what I've learned in only 17 days.  My eyes have been opened to issues within my heart that need dealt with; I've come to understand areas where deception is destroying relationships that I'm apart of; I've been inspired that our God can and will overcome.  He is a big, big God.

90 Days will not be enough to soak it all in but it's a dang good start.

Are you interested?  Check here for the 3 reading plans.

Has anyone else done this?  What say you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)