One thing I struggle with, however, is what to feed everyone. Remember how easy it used to be to throw a party when you were a teen? Pizza, popcorn, chips and pop. Wa-la!
It's not so easy anymore. Now you have to think about who's vegan or vegetarian, who's gluten-free, who's sugar free, who has a nut allergy, who is lactose intolerant, and who eats only kosher. I could go on and on. Really, I could.
It is no problem to address these food preferences one at a time but what do you do when you need to address them all at once?
Case in point: Pax's dedication on Feb. 14, 2010.
Dietary preferences to be considered:
- kosher/all organic
- gluten-free
- vegetarian/vegan
- lactose intolerant
- nut allergies
Instead, I had a soup bar! The premise--everyone fills their bowls with veggies, grains, and/or meats of their choice, pours a delicious vegan broth over it, and tops off the goodness with extra seasonings and cheeses.
The broth recipe easily feeds 15 but I wouldn't hesitate to double or triple it! On the other hand, if you want this just for a small family, I'd half the recipe.
Ingredients:
12 cups vegetable broth
6 cans (14.5 oz each) petite diced organic tomatoes (read the label to make sure they are gluten free)
3-4 t. chili powder
3-4 t. garlic powder (or 4-5 minced cloves)
3/4 t. salt
1/2 t. pepper
Directions:
Throw everything into a pot. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until the flavors start to blend.
Filler:
Now the fillers are the sides that people spoon into their bowls prior to putting the broth in.
Here are some fun sides (remember this is enough to feed 15+ people so make less or more as needed)
- chopped broccoli/cauliflower
- 4-6 green, red, yellow, or orange peppers--seeded and chopped
- thawed: corn, peas, carrots
- 10 oz sliced mushrooms
- chopped onion (1 large)
- chopped celery
- sliced black olives
- 4 cooked, diced potatoes
- 4 servings (1 cup uncooked) brown rice, cooked
- 1 lb. whole grain pasta (I used mini-penne), cooked
- 2, 14 oz cans drained black beans
- 2-4 c. cooked, cubed chicken
- 1/2 lb, thinkly sliced ham
- 1 pepperoni stick, cubed
- 1 lb. browned Italian sausage
- 1 lb crumbled bacon
- 1 lb. browned hamburger
Toppings:
Once the broth is on, have these extra toppings out for guests to use at their discretion.
- 2 cups each shredded cheeses: parmesan, mozzarella, swiss, cheddar, pepper jack
- Chives
- Sour cream
- Tabasco sauce
- Oregano/parsley/basil
- Salt and Pepper
- Paprika
- cumin
Have a long counter set up in this order:
Bowls
fillings
broth
toppings
spoons/napkins/drinks
Serve with:
A large salad or raw veggies in dipping sauce. I also made a batch of rolls (but this didn't help the gluten-free friends much). Don't forget dessert (we went with brownies!)
How to make the soup:
One more time.
- Get a bowl
- Add fillers
- Ladle on soup broth
- Top with cheese and seasonings.
Pizza soup:
onion, peppers, pepperoni, sausage, black olives, pasta and broth. Top with mozzarella cheese and oregano.
Vegetable soup:
Onion, celery, corn, peas, carrots, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, brown rice and broth. Top with parmesan.
Taco Soup:
Onion, ground beef, black beans, celery, and broth. Top with cumin and pepper jack cheese.
Overall, this recipe went off without a hitch. Guests raved. I loved how easy it was to put together (really, open a bag of frozen corn, put in a bowl. Done).
I'll be using this recipe again and again. I LOVE it!
I would have NEVER thought of doing something like this...what a great idea! And it does sound sooo easy. I can't wait for an opportunity to try it out!
ReplyDeleteCool idea! One question - do you need to steam some of the veggies like the broccoli or green peppers?
ReplyDeleteAmy--let me know what you think if you use it!
ReplyDeleteSarah--I used frozen broccoli which is, in general, a bit mushier when de-frosted so I didn't steam it. I didn't steam the green peppers either because I like the crunchy texture. Great questions!
What a fantastic idea! I would have never thought of this. I've done what I call a "soup bar" before but it was just three or four different kinds with some available toppings. This is much more fun! Hmmm...now to think of an occasion to have it! :)
ReplyDelete