I tried it once and fell in love.
Then I decided to tweak it--a bit.
Okay, all I did was substitute natural, unsweetened applesauce for the oil. Wa La! Sugar free (well, except for the chocolate chips), oil free, healthy pumpki chocolate chip muffins.
| Source: The Frugally Rich Life |
Here's the slightly altered muffin recipe.
1 egg
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
1/2 c. milk (any percent but skim is best)
1/4 c. natural, unsweetened applesauce (or oil)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (use white if you must)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t cinnamon
1 c. dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)
Stir together first five, wet ingredients. Add in next five dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed. Put in greased muffin tins. Bake 375 for 18 minutes.
Makes 12 regular sized muffins OR 36 mini-muffins.
FYI--You can fill the tins pretty full since these do not rise much.
I got this from facebook too(probably the same person's page)...I've made them 3 or 4 times now. I also substitute the apple sauce for oil. Everyone in my family has enjoyed them! :) Mmmm...maybe I will whip some up tonight again! :)
ReplyDeleteWe even give them to Simeon...he is such a second child!! I would have never have given 14 month old Eli them because of the chocolate. I do make a few without chocolate chips...but he usually ends up getting some with the chocolate too! :) Ha...
Ginny made these when I stayed there a couple weeks ago and sent some home with me. It was a great birthday breakfast (and still great for the next few breakfasts...)! So yummy! :) -Megan
ReplyDelete@Shelly--I agree. The second kids get all the breaks!
ReplyDelete@Megan--I'm glad you like them. Healthy and yummy is a favorite! Next time you are so close you'll have to let us know. We'd travel 1.5 hrs to see you :)
I'm so glad that you like this! I'm so happy that you were able to sub applesauce too! I'll have to try that! :) I haven't made these in quite a while and will definitely have to make them again soon!
ReplyDeleteThanks for featuring me on your blog!!
Ariana Anderson
The Frugally Rich Life
www.thefrugallyrichlife.wordpress.com
GF, dairy-free, refined sugar-free recipes and frugality (+ traditional "non-allergy" recipe too)
thefrugallyrichlife AT gmail.com
Twitter: FrugallyRichAri
Oh, and you can make them sugar-free---completely---by using my recipe for sugar-free chocolate chips....http://thefrugallyrichlife.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/gf-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free-vegan-homemade-frugal-chocolate-chips/
ReplyDelete