Okay, I just hacked a line from You've Got Mail. You know when Kathleen Kelly's bookstore employee girl ask employee guy "are on online?" Don't remember it. I swear some days I feel like the only person in the world who has watched that movie over a million times. Sheesh, people. You're making me look bad.
I'm on Pinterest (you can follow me here). Sometimes I feel like I need a Pintervention. But I don't really want one because I generally find some brilliant ideas I can try and share (or laugh about if I ruin).
Anyhow, under my PLAY WITH THIS board there is a tutorial for Sharpie tie dye. It looks cute, though I must admit I missed the Sharpie craze. $16 for markers that don't smell like fruit? You've got to be kidding. All this anti-Sharpieness aside, I decided to give this project a go.
I got this idea off of Art and Craft Tutorials but I'm pretty sure she didn't invent the idea.
What you will need:
- a pre-washed white t-shirt
- Sharpies in a variety of colors
- small cups (we opted for Dixie cups)
- rubber bands
- rubbing alcohol (mine was 70%)
- piece of cardboard
- old medicine dropper
- Slide a piece of cardboard between your shirt from and back (so it doesn't bleed through to the back).
- Figure out your design. Or, if you are like me and you are gonna go random or go home, just start putting little cups under the shirt and then put a rubber band around the top.
- Now, draw small designs in the middle of the cup. SMALL. Do not fill up the white space. Just 10-15 little dots and designs (we tried peace signs, hearts, smiley faces, and suns). ***WARNING*** In each area do NOT use complimentary colors. When complimentary colors run together they equal brown. Brown is not a fun tie dye color.
- With your medicine dropper, slowly (and yes, I mean slowly. Drip. Drip. Drip) drip 8-10 drops of rubbing alcohol into the center of each cup. Watch the colors bleed out. ***NOTICE*** if you do NOT want really defined edges, go ahead and put a bit of alcohol on the edges of the cup to help facilitate bleeding.
- Let dry.
- Remove cardboard.
- Throw in dryer for 20 minutes to "set" colors.
- Wear.
FAQ:
- What are complimentary colors? Complimentary colors are across from one another on the color wheel. Red and green, orange and blue, purple and yellow. Avoid mixing these. I had great luck mixing greens/blues/yellows, yellows/oranges/pinks, pinks/purples/blues, etc.
- Can you wash this shirt? Yes. I would never encourage you to make something you can't use/wear. Wash, dry, wear. It's all good.
- Can I use other alcohol? If by this you mean 90% rubbing alcohol, then yes. If you mean "can I substitute vodka or tequila?" Then no. Although this is easy enough to make you could probably drink and still come up with something amazing.
My daughter and I did this activity. I made a shirt for her and she made one for a friend's birthday. She is 6 and found it fascinating. I'm 30ish and was too afraid to let the 3 year old try this craft. If you want to try with your 3 year old, go ahead (but I'm not accountable if Sharpie gets everywhere).
| Our supplies |
| One of our shirts. I forgot photos of the other one. |
Cute! I think this could be so much fun!
ReplyDelete