Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More is Less

I have heard it said often "Less is More;" therefore, by defintion,  more is less (at least sometimes).

Like the more I do, the less accomplish I feel because I am not spending enough time ______ (fill in the blank with anything parent-guilt related: reading to the kids enough, making quality lunches, going shopping for organic dates, volunteering int he classroom enough, dating my spouse ...).

Or

Like the more ways I reach out to people actually makes me feel less connected. Sure I have 330 Facebook "friends."  When was the last time I actually talked to one of them?  Great I'm on Twitter.  I'm partially connected but who, really who, am I connecting with?

Or

If I just buy more  _____________ (fill in the blank with: food, new shoes, new necklace, trendy patterned jeans, leather jacket, boots, a new video game, scrapbooking kit, a vacation) I'll feel better.  But paying for all that more, means less time with my family (see example #1).

I want a full life.

Full of laughter and joy and hope and friends and memories.

There is a difference between a full life and a filled life.  Right now, life is filled.

Filled with "To Do" lists ranging from blog and clean up the dog run to read for fun and exercise.  All this stuff is a part of life but life should not be all this stuff.

The more I do, the less I feel like I experience this life of joy and freedom I've been given.

The time has come to get rid of the "more" that makes my life less.

I'm starting with Twitter.  I've only been Tweeting for a month and I honestly can't stand it.  It's just one more thing to do.  So, so long Twits!

What "More" is making your life "less" (and what are you gonna do about it)?


 Thanks, Shell!

5 comments:

  1. Good for you! I'm not a fan of twitter either but am trying to use it for business. But frankly, I don't see the point.
    I agree, we often fill our lives up -- but what are we really filling it with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a good point, and I am impressed. This sounds a lot like how my husband and I have been feeling lately too. He recently threw away his To Do lists and I am reading books about finding my happiness. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very good point. It wouldn't kill me to get rid of my twitter, but whether I use it or not it doesn't bother me to have it sitting there. I wish there were other things I could get rid of. My life is a little too 'filled' these days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been on Twitter much lately either. And I SO agree with you about the more you try to do, the less you get accomplished. I'm experiencing that right now too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think there has to be a limit with everything. I haven't given up twitter, but I definitely use it WAY less than I used to!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)