Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Days of Play: Wherein I Admit to Hating Bubbles

Bubbles seem like such harmless things but geeze they make a mess.  I have leather furniture and every time we blow bubbles I end up with this bubble-slick nonsense that isn't super easy to clean up. Of course they are bubbles which means the couch gets super clean but I don't always feel like cleaning the couch on a daily basis, which is about how often my kids want to play with bubbles.

In good weather I blow bubbles outside.  Problems still abound.  Like the wind blows the bubbles up too high and I can't convince my kids that I'm not in charge of the wind so they clearly think: 1.  I'm blowing the bubbles up, up, and away just to hurt their feelings and 2.  I'm in charge of the universe (I'm actually okay with this assumption except for where wind, tornadoes, and earthquakes are involved).

The other problem is that I get winded, er um, tired.  Blowing bubbles for 30 minutes is a lot ... and I'm in good shape.  I do not want a bubble machine.  Then I'd feel like a failure because what parent can't blow bubbles for their kids, I ask you?

So anyhow.

This is one of (many) places where I fail as a mom. I hate bubbles.  And I didn't even talk about the bath kind.

Then again, kids love bubbles.  I actually remember the first time I showed both my kids bubbles.  The look of wonderment was amazing.  It was like they had the whole world figured out and the BAM! I hit them with bubbles and suddenly everything was up in the air in the best way possible.  I mean they are round and floaty and rainbowy and delicate.  Bubbles are pretty amazing ... except for the part where I hate them.

Lucky for me, I found a way my kids can make bubbles that totally enthralls them, keeps the couch clean, saves my breath, and isn't affected by wind.

What you will need:

  • 9x13 inch pan for each child
  • water
  • food coloring (optional)
  • 1-2 drops dish soap
  • straw
What you do:
  • Put a couple of drops in each pan.
  • Add food coloring.
  • Add water.
  • Take pan outside.
  • Give your kids the straws
  • Let them blow bubbles.
The end.







Finally, bubble magicalness I can handle.

1 comment:

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)