Monday, August 27, 2012

Bringing Goof Bumps Back

The first time I heard "Bringing Sexy Back" I threw up a little in my mouth.  Please, give me the sound of cats being skinned alive first (but maybe not the imagery.  I'm generally quite non-violent.  Forgive that one).  Timberlake can bring sexy back but I'm on a mission to bring Goof Bumps back.

Remember a few weeks ago how I said I love "AHA" moments.  This is true.  Except for when that "aha" moment is in front of a group of, I don't know, sophomores in high school, and what you just "aha'd" is completely humiliating.  Like, for example, you just figured out they are called goose bumps, not GOOF bumps.  This is just an example of course.  It didn't happen to me.

But if it really did happen to me, you'd understand right?  I mean, who knows goose flesh is actually bumpy unless you've plucked a goose (and anyone who has plucked a goose wants to forget that experience ASAP.  Trust me)?  And when you get goose bumps they generally come with that tingly/chill feeling which is kinda weird.  Goofy, if you will.  And goof sounds a lot like goose probably to a little kid.  And you know how kid words stick until they are corrected when you are like, a sophomore and a peer points out the wrong word you are using?

Okay.  I'll admit it.  I thought they were goof bumps.  

I've been corrected.  I call them "goose bumps" now even though I think it is totally stupid.

Short story longer, last week--on the one year anniversary of my mom's death--I went to a Mumford and Sons concert.  I was trying to "re-frame" the day--make a bad day good.  So I went.  It was amazing.  They played a little theater in Wyoming called The Gryphon Theater.  It's the most intimate venue they are playing this tour.  Did I mention it was amazing?  Because it was.

Best part: They totally gave me GOOF bumps.

At 10:28--one year exactly from the night she died--here is what the set looked like.


And at this exact moment--10:28--they were singing the chorus to Ghosts that We Knew which goes like this:

But hold me still, bury my heart on the cold.
So give me hope in the darkness that I will see the light.
Cause oh that gave me such a fright
But I will hold on as long as you like
Just promise me that we'll be alright.

I just stood there crying.  Comforted.  Texting my sister.  Listening.  Letting the words wash over me a calm of understanding--a feeling of being understood.  Music has always "spoken" to me this way--what a good creation that was.  Go job, God!

I had GOOF bumps.  The kind that make you feel connected and blissfully peaceful.  Not a chill.  Not a "something is wrong here" bumpy skin goose flesh.  Goof bumps.

I decided then and there that I'm bringing Goof Bumps back.  Goose bumps are for when you are cold or feel creeped out.

Goof bumps are what happens when you feel comforted.  Connected.  Inspired.

Goof Bumps.  I was on to something all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)