Thursday, July 5, 2012

Things I Love: Mac-N-Cheese

Confession: I buy my kids the blue box Mac-n-Cheese.

What can I say?  They love over-processed, powered chemical cheese and I love that lunch is ready in 10 minutes.

The problem is I feel guilty every time I whip up a batch of blue box magic because I love these two little people and I want them to be as happy and healthy and well fed as they can be.  Blue box Mac is not my best and it's not the best for them (though it is better than letting kids starve).

So I'm changing my ways and I'm starting slowly with Mac-n-Cheese.

The blue box is out.  Homemade Mac-n-Cheese is in.

Honestly, the kids don't love the switch.  They miss the sodium heavy, bleached noodle blue box Mac-N-Cheese but I am their mother.  I understand and care about their health in ways they won't appreciate until they are adults.

Although they'd still prefer their powered cheese addiction, the kids are slowly warming up to this recipe.  And I love it because lunch is ready in 10 minutes.

What's that?  Homemade mac-n-cheese with whole wheat pasta and freshly grated sharp cheddar cheese ready as fast as the blue box variety?  You bet your biscuits!

Seriously, you cook your pasta in milk for 10 minutes, stir in a dash of salt and some cheese and wa-la--lunch you don't have to feel guilty about!

Photo property of Budget Bytes
Want more information?  Go check out Miracle Mac-N-Cheese at Budget Bytes.

FYI--I follow this recipe to the T EXCEPT I do not add in mustard or paprika and I use whole wheat noodles.

Finally a quick Mac-n-Cheese I love.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to make this yesterday for Lillian but then I realized that I was boiling the noodles in water, not milk. So I went about it the old fashioned way. Next time though I want to give this a try.

    Btw, if your kids ever NEED the powdered stuff, Annie's tastes exactly the same as Kraft and there's no junk in it. And there's a whole wheat option. :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)