Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Days of Play: Simon Says--the Cloud Edition

My daughter, you know, the one who wants to be a cheerleader {what?} is totally a science chick.  This little princess goes from dressed up to dirty in 2.0 seconds if it means capturing a moth or popping off a grasshopper head.

She's hands on but she's got brain smarts too.  Like she told me that Orca Whales are actually not whales but are in fact, related more closely to the snubfin dolphins.  I googled it.  She's right.

And today she told me, "I'm sweating.  I need to drink more water because that means I'm dehydrated."  Seriously, for 6 years old, she blows me away with her "hot air rises" and "plants eat by photosniffs" (I'm certain she meant photosynthesis) talk.  Smart little thing, isn't she?

Well, since I love to play purposeful games with my kids AND she loves science, I decided to combine the two.  I was telling her about the three kinds of clouds: cirrus, stratus, and cumulus and I came up with arm actions for them.

Cirrus clouds are the light, whispy, fair-weather clouds that are generally high in the sky.  I love how they look like feathers.  Our arm actions for cirrus clouds where to swing them back and forth very "featherishly" and daintily.

Stratus clouds are low lying clouds that can be dark and might signal snow or rain.  They often look flat.  Our arm actions for stratus clouds was to put our arms straight out at the shoulder and to turn back and forth at our waist to show how the flat clouds are often expansive.

Cumulus clouds tend to be puffy with flat bottoms.  When they sit low in the sky, this can mean fair weather.  When they grow tall, they can usher in thunderstorms.  Our arm actions for cumulus clouds was to make a big, puffy O over our heads with our arms.

Once we had the moves, we played Simon Says.  Simon says be a Cirrus cloud.  Be Cumulus.  You get it.

Honestly, the actual game only entertained my kids for about 5 minutes but coming up with the actions, showing them photos of clouds, telling them cloud names, and doing a "cloud check" in our back yard took about an hour.  An hour of fun science.  I declare this a win for momkind.

3 comments:

  1. Cute idea!

    Here's to our kids being the science and math nerds in school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome idea for the clouds. Wonder if it would keep my kids occupied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh idea: You could also break out some shaving cream and make the different cloud types with it.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)