Wednesday, May 23, 2012

What I Think About: THAT Mom

Moms are probably some of the most judgmental people I know.  Those who breast feed judge those who don't (and vice versa).  Those who stay at home judge those who don't (and vice versa).  We judge the mother of the dirty kid at McDonalds and the mom bribing her kid to stop throwing a tantrum so she can get out of the grocery store.

Lucky (?) for me, people judge me most often in a different way.

People like to come to my house and look at how clean and organized it is.  And then they like to make believe that I have it all together because my floor is mopped and there are no smudge prints on the window.

It is true.  Thanks to a sound training in home cleanliness from my mom mixed with some early tendencies toward OCD, my house is clean.  Eat off my floor--I dare you.

But don't put me in the "she's got it all together" box.  I don't live there.

Most days, I am THAT mom.
  • Sometimes (and by sometimes I mean 9 times out of 10) I don't remember to tell my kids to wash their hands after they go to the bathroom or before they eat a meal.
  • I will let my son watch shows on my iPhone so I can grocery shop without a meltdown.
  • I've left my son in an aisle in Target when he threw a whopper of a tantrum (yes, I peeked from the end cap to be sure no evil pedophiles kidnapped him).
  • I've watch my kids flick a booger somewhere and not bothered to find it and clean it up.
  • My children have had cereal for dinner.
  • We always have mac-n-cheese, chicken nuggets, and frozen pancakes at our house.
  • I've gone out without remembering to pack diapers, wipes, pacifiers, and blankets.
  • I've "not heard" my children so I could doze an extra 15 minutes in the morning.
  • I've let the TV babysit my kids so I could read another chapter in my book.
  • I've forgotten to give my kids a bath ... 5 days in a row.
  • I've "lost" toys and game pieces and books that I simply couldn't stand to play with/read one more time.
  • I've gone on vacation and not felt guilty about it.  I've even dreaded coming home (a little bit).
  • I've let my kids wear outfits that don't match, were too small, and were entirely disgusting.
  • I've let my kids hear music with not-so-great-lyrics.
  • I've fantasized about what it would be like to not have children.
  • I've let my kids leave the house with grimy faces, runny noses, and filthy hands.
  • I've wished my daughter wasn't potty trained so we didn't have to pull over ever 20 minutes to let her pee.
  • I've struggled with what to do when my children won't apologize.
  • I've yelled in anger.
  • I've spanked my children.
  • I've totally lost my cool and freaked out on my children.
  • I've let my kids go to bed without brushing their teeth because those teeth are gonna fall out anyway and it wasn't worth a fight.
  • I've pretended not to see something my kids did in order to avoid having to deal with it.
Yep.  I'm that mom. The one who doesn't have it all together. The one who sometimes can't manage to go shopping without someone crying.  The one who would rather let her children look ratty and dirty rather than fight with them about washing their faces.

What I think is my house might always be clean and you may never (ever) see me in public in my pajamas but do NOT let that fool you.  I'm that mom--the one who does not have it together.

Are you THAT mom too?  Prove it in the comments below!


Thanks, Shell for letting me Pour My Heart Out on your blog.
 

8 comments:

  1. I don't adhere to a strict bedtime. Especially when we're on vacation or have family/guests visiting.

    I totally bribe my kiddo with the free cookies at the grocery store so she'll not ask for junk food or whine about how long it takes.

    I don't bathe my children every day...or even every other day...

    I throw away craft projects and art work by my kiddo on an almost weekly basis. Because I can only handle so many scribbles and cut up pieces of paper.

    I may or may not have turned the tv on for my 4 month old baby to watch so I could shower. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not that Mom. I've VERY often that Auntie though! :-) Great post, made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo, glad I am not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I'm SO that mom. Though with a messy house. ;)

    I let my kids wear what they want, they play with i devices to keep themselves busy when I'm trying to work, and sometimes(especially in summer), I think that ice cream is a perfectly acceptable dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm that mom too only with a messy house because a nap or writing time is easier than picking up the endless crap everybody is always leaving all over. This was a great read and one I needed today. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, I'm THAT mom, too! Yes, my house is messy, because I am a mom that doesn't follow through. I have teenagers, you know the ones that don't like to do anything. But, then again, in the "real world" I don't think any of "those moms" are really that much different than us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so grateful that you posted this. It makes feel less alone in the way I parent.

    Thanks again'
    Sarah M

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least your house is clean. We have a mountain of 'clean' (aka only worn once) outfits on the sideboard in the living room. The kids strip naked when they come in the door, so 'clean' clothes are put on the sideboard.
    sigh.
    At least they're not on the floor.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)