Wednesday, May 30, 2012

What I Think About: Puppies

Puppies.

Now there's a controversial topic if I've ever heard one, right?

If you think I'm going down this road of cat v. dog people, you're wrong.  Some people hate cats. Some people hate dogs.  What can you do?  As far as I'm concerned they just shouldn't get married (unless they have some mad compromising skills).

If you think I'm going to totally pounce on buying puppies from breeders or pet stores, you're wrong.  I have strong opinions about that.  I'm a girl who gets my pets from the shelter or rescues (since I do like one specific breed).  Buy one from a breeder, kill one from a shelter. That's my thought but if you're a breeder reader, have no fear, I'm okay agreeing to disagree.

What I really want to say is this.

I. Cannot. Stand. Puppies.

Phew.  I feel better.

Really, this friend of mine has a dog with a litter of (9!) puppies and she posts pictures of them on facebook and people leave these ooey gooey comments and I think, what am I missing?

To me, puppies smell weird and they don't do much and they make this strange pig grunt noise thing.  And when they do get old enough to do stuff it involves chewing valuables, pooping and peeping, and barking.  This leads to lots of training and gadget buying.

I guess some people look at puppies and see the possibility of those cuddly little balls of fur.  Me?  I see hard work and commitment.  Maybe it's just my personality but I just want to put my hard work and commitment into, I don't know, my children.

Anyhow, I have two dogs.  I love, love, love them.  They are amazing.  I got them from shelters/rescues older and potty trained.  My kind of dog.  All the benefits, none of the awkward puppy phase.

Our 4 legged family members: Finnigan Smooter and Brinkley Sue--Saved at a shelter older and trained.

I promise--I don't have a bad heart.  I just don't like puppies.  That doesn't make me a bad person--does it?

Thanks, Shell for letting me Pour My Heart Out on your blog.


 

6 comments:

  1. Can I tell you that I'm not an animal person at all? So of course I don't judge your puppy-hating self. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't hate puppies, and we actually have three pets. I'm just not the kind of person that has to (or wants to) pet and fuss over every dog that I see. To me, a well behaved pet is a cute pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww. Ok,I LOVE puppies for their snuggly, cute, silly puppy selves. But you are SO right. Puppies are lots of work and if you're not committed to the time and dedication they require, then a puppy is not for you. Puppies are like grandkids, fun to play with and spoil and when the responsibility comes in, call mom and dad. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Puppies . . . once the cute factor's over (about an hour) are a total pain in the you-know-what! I completely understand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh! Yes, puppies are a lot of work, just like babies are. But they are so damn cute, I could look at photos of puppies all day long and never get bored!! We got our dog when he was a year old, so it has been a very long time since I've had a puppy to take care of but our next one will be a puppy. By then, the kids will be old enough to help out with it. But how can anyone hate puppies?? *gasp*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Puppies can be a big pain in the butt. I watched 6 puppies on Monday and I was exsausted afterwards.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)