Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Days of Play: Teacher Appreciation

It's Teacher Appreciation week!

This is a hard time because I never know what to get for my kids' teachers.  On the one hand, I think--a drawing, a card, a batch of cookies ... you can never go wrong with homemade.  But on the other hand, after being a teacher, I know there are only so many homemade cookies I can eat and still fit into the classroom.  And while those drawings are so amazing, most end up in the garbage because I get about 18 a day.

Oh, and a note on school supplies. Yes, teachers need school supplies but giving teachers crayons as a "gift" is sort of like being given a new broom on Mother's Day.  Seriously, celebrate the the teacher as a PERSON not as a profession.  Still give those crayons but do it on some random Tuesday in the middle of November.

Need some ideas?  I navigated through all the hideous Pinterest Spam and found the best of the best of teacher appreciation gifts.

Picture this: A home made, PURPOSEFUL gift.

No gift cards.  No craft supplies.  A gift.  For the teacher.  That the teacher can use.

Still need some ideas?  Lucky for you I've found some :)

How about a re-useable summer cup/straw with a fun saying, like "Thanks for quenching my thirst for knowledge"
Photo and idea from Lisa Storms

If teacher like hot drinks instead of cold drinks, you could always do this idea:

Photo from Skip to My Lou; printable from WITHMIM

Of course you could make an amazing caramel or chocolate dipped apple and send it to school with a note reading "an apple for the teacher."
Photo from Brown Paper Packages
If you simply feel you must give school supplies, here's a cute idea.  "I must ad-mitt you were a great teacher"
Photo and idea from Skip to my Lou
But really, here's the BEST idea for a school supply gift:
From Come Together Kids

I kind of want someone to make this summer relaxation tote bag for me!  "All year you made learning fun, now you can relax in the sun!"  Fill with sunglasses, sunscreen, flipflops, magazines, etc.
From Skip to my Lou
For a teacher who love flowers, I love the idea of a nice planter with seeds, gloves, etc.  Oh, and a cute card.
From Skip to my Lou
Of course you could just pot a nice gerbera Daisy and tell the teacher "thank you for helping NAME grow or bloom"

1 comment:

  1. I'm starting to get all sad every time I see anything school related because I know my baby will be leaving me to head off to Kindergarten this Fall.

    That being said, I love the flowers and Summer relaxation kit ideas. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)