Thursday, April 26, 2012

Things I Love: Gemma Doyle Trilogy

I'm a fan of young adult literature.  I like to tell people this is due to the fact that I teach young adults.  Really, I just like how profound and lovely young adult literature can be (without takings itself to seriously).

Think about it.  How many of the most recent literature phenomenons have been geared toward young adults?  Harry Potter.  Twilight.  The Hunger Games.

I've never read Harry Potter {Gasp} and I have no intentions to do so.

I read and liked Twilight although I think Bella is whiny, helpless, and sets the feminist movement back to B.C. times.

I loved, loved The Hunger Games but even though I found Katniss to be a strong, caring lead, I didn't totally love her character.  She was harsh and cold and didn't have an ounce of humor in her.

Right after I read The Hunger Games I read The Great and Terrible Beauty series by Libba Bray.  Ever since, I've been wanting to read them again.  The books are Victorian Gothic/paranormal which sounds odd but let me tell you, it's compelling. You aren't quite sure what you are gonna get.

And the lead.  Oh the lead.  Gemma Doyle is a great mix of Bella and Katniss.  She is brave, strong headed, and selfless like Katniss.  She is silly and dramatic like Bella.  But unlike both, Gemma seems really ... real.  She struggles with life--with thoughts of not being enough, with girl drama, with boy drama, with family drama but through it all, she is hilarious.  She thinks these sarcastic thoughts and is utterly delightful.

Anyhow, if you are looking for a new series to dive into, I'd suggest The Gemma Doyle Trilogy (I've suggested this to friends.  2 loved it, 1 thought it was so-so.  Although I will say one of the gals loved Gemma so much she contemplated naming her daughter after her ...).

This photo does not belong to me.  I stole it from Wikipedia but don't read Wikipedia and ruin the book!

P.S. Although I TOTALLY think this should be a movie, and IMBD thinks it might become one in 2015, right now, it's looking doubtful.  Rats.

1 comment:

  1. I love YA lit, too.

    Need to add these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)