Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Days of Play: Memory


A couple of years ago at MOPs, a group of little kindergardeners came in and performed their version of the ABCs.  Rather than just doing the traditional song, the kids recited a verse for each letter they learned of the alphabet.

I was blown away.  Here were little 5 year olds with more verses memorized than I know!  Momentarily I was convinced I needed to send my children to the school that these kids went to.  But then I remembered that educating my children in the way of the Lord is MY part of my commission.

So, I did some internet searching on ABC verses and found some of my favorites and here is a list I came up with.

A
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
B
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
C
Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Matt.11:28
D
Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart. Ps:37:4
E
Encourage one another, while it is still Today. Heb. 3:13
F
"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11
G
"God is our refuge and strength, an ever present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1
H
"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away." Matt.24:35
I
"I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except thru Me." John 14:6
J
Jesus Christ, the same yesterday, today and forever. Hebrews 13:8
K
"Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 1 Cor. 8:1
L
"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5
M
"Make music in your heart to the Lord...always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord, Jesus Christ." Ephesians 5:19
N
"No eye has seen, nor ear heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Cor 2:9
O
O, God, you are my God: early will I seek you, for my soul thirsts for you. 
--- Psalm 63:1
P
"Peace I leave with you, my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." John 14:27
Q
Quench not the spirit; … hold fast what is good. 
--- 1 Thessalonians 5:19-21
R
"Rest in the Lord and wait patiently for Him." Psalm 37:7
S
"Surely, I am with you always." Matthew 28:20
T
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own understanding in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your path straight." Proverbs 3:5-6
U
Understanding is a fountain of life to those who have it. Proverbs 16:22
V
Verily, verily, I say to you, He that 
believes in me has everlasting life.
--- John 6:47
W
"Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14
X
eXcept a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.  John 3:3
Y
Your love, O LORD, reaches to the heavens, your faithfulness to the skies. Your righteousness is like the mighty mountains, your justice like the great deep.  Psalm 36:5-6
Z
"....Zion, do not let your hands hang limp. The Lord, your God, is with you, he is mighty to save." Zephaniah 3:16, 17
I know that my children might not totally understand what they are memorizing (I feel this way about multiplication tables), but one day they will and these verses of hope, love, and encouragement will be burned on their hearts.

1 comment:

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)