Thursday, March 1, 2012

Things I Love: Dessert for Breakfast (that's healthy)

I'm pretty sure I've already blogged about my smoothie obsession.

Well today, I'm confessing: I found a new recipe and the obsession has gotten epically worse.

I couldn't be happier.

So this great little smoothie is loaded with vitamins, protein, and chocolate.  Yep chocolate.

Did I mention it's totally vegan?

Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie

What you need (per smoothie):

  • 1 T ground flax seed
  • 1 ripe banana
  • 1 T peanut butter (almond butter, sunflower seed butter)--More or less to taste
  • 1 c. chocolate almond milk (can also use plain almond, soy, or coconut milk and add 1T cocoa powder)
  • 1 handful of fresh spinach (what?? trust me--you get all the nutrient benefits without the taste!)
  • 1/5 cube of silken tofu (hello protein)
What to do:

In a blender, combine flax seed, almond milk, and tofu.  Blend a few seconds.  Add in peanut butter, banana, and spinach.  Blend again.  Add in ice.  Blend.  Pour into a glass.  Drink.

Why do I blend in batches?  Mainly because my blender is not awesome and will give up if I put too much stuff in at once.  Can you throw all this into one blender and have at it?  Sure, if your blender is awesome you can.  But don't brag about it because no one likes a braggart.  Ha!

Ice or frozen fruit?

Okay, there are people who swear that using ice in a smoothie ruins them.  I'm not one of those people. I love ice :)  But if you are anti-ice, then use frozen bananas--the result will be a creamy, cold delicious breakfast that tastes like dessert.

1 comment:

  1. I do especially like that you said chocolate almond milk is healthy - that means if I make hot chocolate with almond milk, it's healthy too, right? :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)