Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What I Think About: The R Word

Ever think about the words you use?  Everyday we use words that are actually unacceptable and if we thought about what they really meant, I think we'd be appalled that we used them.

Take "retarded," for example.  How many times have you said, "I'm so retarded" or "that's retarded" without thinking about what you are really saying?

Have you ever worked with someone who was, by societal factors, deemed "retarded?"  If so, then you know what a horrible and hurtful putdown this word is.  And if you've seen someone called "retarded" then you know that "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" is nothing but a LIE!

Words hurt.  They cut, jab, stab, and leave spirits bleeding.  Yet people say it anyway because "everyone says it." Did you get that reasoning?  We keep saying something because everything is saying it?  This circular argument is illogical.  And this word, is hurtful.

Now, the second I suggest we stop saying things like "retarded" peoples' defenses go up and they fight back that this is all "politically correct garbage."  This has nothing to do with being politically correct.  Is has everything to do with being decent, educated human beings.  If you can't think of ways to share your thoughts and feelings without degrading others then I'd like to make a suggestion.  Don't talk.  Seriously, if you can't speak intelligently without using a slur, then do what my 6 year old suggests: "zip it, lock it, and put it in  your pocket."

The Bible refers to the tongue as a powerful weapon so next time you want to use some slang, think twice, get a thesaurus, and re-word!


Thank you Glee!


I love participating in Shell's PYHO on Wednesdays!

 

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I catch myself saying words that I tell my kids not to say. I feel like a fool and then regret them. I'm trying everyday.
    I love your last line. I've heard that several times on the radio station I listen to. It is so true. We need to use our most powerful muscle to spread goodness not hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more! I've told my kids and my husband that using 'retarded' as a put down, or in any negative connotation is unacceptable. My son has OCD and I have the same reaction with someone uses that term inappropriately. It's not about being politically correct, it's about being respectful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with you. I always had a habit of saying it with the meaning that someone was being or acting stupid. That is until my niece was diagnosed with a mild form of Autism and I saw what the affects of it had on her. I felt horrible afterwards. The sad thing is that my brother (nieces father) is the one that ALWAYS used to call me that growing up to tease me -he is 5 years older. Great post Reagan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People tend to say that oh, they don't mean it that way, it's just an expression... but it's a very hateful and hurtful one.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)