Thursday, December 1, 2011

Things I Love: The Side Dish that Saved Thanksgiving

It was a hard Thanksgiving.  There, I said it.

I mean everyone tells you the first year after the death of someone significant is rough and I'm hear to say, those folks aren't kidding.

Imagine this.  I'm in my sister's kitchen saut√©ing diced onion and celery in sausage drippings for stuffing and this memory hits me like a ton of bricks.  For nearly three decades I'd walk into the kitchen while my mom was making stuffing for Thanksgiving and I'd reach into the saute pan, pull out a piece of onion, celery, and browned sausage and pop the trio of yumminess into my mouth.  Mom would give that "mom" look, and keep right on sauteing.  When I'd try to re-commit the crime she'd lovingly bat my hand away with a bamboo spoon and say, "hey, hey, you get out of here!"  This thought, this memory, this realization that she'd never say or do that again--well, it nearly had me crying over my sister's stove (thank goodness I could blame the onions ...).

It's funny the memories we don't think twice about until they are all we have left.

Like I said, Thanksgiving was hard.  But there was something that made it a bit better.  Sweet potatoes. You probably thought I was going to say tequila. Wrong-O!  It wasn't alcohol that saved Thanksgiving; it was candied coconut sweet potatoes.  I turned my sister onto Our Best Bites about two years ago and she found this recipe.  Hallelujah!

Sweet potatoes. Coconut flakes.  Brown sugar.  Butter, butter, and more butter.  What more could you ask for?

Photo from Our Best Bites
Seriously.  So GOOD.  These are totally going to make an appearance at my house for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try this recipe! :) Sorry T-Giving was hard. E-Hug coming your way! (yes...that is totally cheeseball. Whateve. Love ya)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)