Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Days of Play: Taylor Swift Birthday Party

I have a love affair with music which sadly omits Taylor Swift.  My {oh my gosh I can hardly believe she's almost} six year old disagrees.  She loves Taylor Swift.  So much so that for this year's birthday extravaganza, all she wanted was a Taylor Swift Party.

I had no idea what to do for a Taylor Swift birthday party so I did what any educated person would do.  I googled it.  You know what?  Unless you want to buy incredibly over-priced plates with her celeb photo on it, there's not much in the way of what to do for a Taylor Swift party--especially for a 4-6 year old crowd.

So I'm here to tell you what I did.  I'm not gonna lie--this was NOT the best party I've ever thrown.  The good news is the kindergartners didn't seem to mind.

The Invitations:

Okay, I'm in Wyoming where we {mostly} all love Garth Brooks and cowboys, and all things country so I played with that for the invitations.

I took a Taylor Swift image off the internet and pasted it into word.  The invitation read: "Because of your roots, we hope you show up in boots to M.E.'s Taylor Swift Birthday affair"  I then listed the what, when, where, why info, and sent them out.

Just so you know, all the kids came decked out in western wear complete with skirts, boots, and cowgirl hats.  Cutest thing ever!

The Decorations:

I'm totally opposed to the aforementioned over-priced paper products so I just decorated in ALL white (which, google taught me, is Taylor's favorite color.  BTW, I do feel like I've earned the right to be on a first name basis with Taylor.).

White table clothes, white plates, white forks, white balloons, white streamers ... if it was standing still at my house, it was covered in white (except for the Christmas tree--that got a free-pass).

Adding to the ambiance was low-playing Taylor Swift music.

This was the grand entrance.  The kids loved it!

The Cake:

I'm NOT a cake decorator so while I found amazing cakes on google images of guitars and frosting -painted Taylor faces, I knew that was NOT going to be my route.  Seriously, a girl has to know her limits.  My limit is cake.  So what I did was take a boxed (gasp!) cake and baked it in a 9x9 square pan.  When it was baked and cooled I frosted in in white frosting and piped it in hot pink.  I then put the Taylor Swift Christmas album on the cake and piped in "Taylor's" John Hancock and her signature heart.  Did it REALLY look like her signature?  Not at all.  Did the kids notice?  Not at all.

Ya, that's about as good as you'll get from this mom!

The Activities:

If you've had a birthday party with a lot of little kids that wasn't at a venue (roller rink, bounce house, etc.) then you know you've gotta keep those kiddos constantly moving.  So we did!


  • Apparently Taylor loves bracelets so the kids all made a bracelet.  I used leather bands and pop beads but string with beads would work well.
  • Music and dancing were really the main focus--ergo, for the first game we gave every kid a balloon and they had to try to keep it afloat for a whole Taylor Swift song (we used MEAN).
  • Game two was a relay (again to Taylor music).  Kids had to put a balloon in between their knees and hop around a course in our living rooms.  I loved watching this.  So funny!
  • Game three was Taylor, Taylor, Goose.  Like Duck, Duck, Goose (but a bit cooler).
  • Game four was line dancing.  That's right folks, I taught 8 little kids how to do the electric shuffle to "Belong with Me."  I deserve a medal.  Or maybe a margarita.  Okay, I'll take both.
  • Game five was the kids' favorite.  FREEZE DANCE.  We (and when I say we I mean Matt) played Taylor Swift songs and the kids would boogie.  Then Matt would turn the music off and the kids would freeze.  Anyone who didn't freeze was "out".
  • Finally we played musical pillows (like musical chairs but with pillows because no one ever got hurt falling off a pillow)

The Menu

We did choose to serve the kids a meal.  We went as "county fair" as possible with hot dogs, cucumbers and ranch, applesauce, and Cheetos.  Oh, cake and ice cream, obviously.

Don't Forget


To take a souvenir photo of all the kids doing Taylor's signature "heart"!


4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much! My daughter wants a Taylor Swift bday party and this is going to help! she is so excited she said yes to all of this cause of course i'm goggling for ideas LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! my 7 year old wants a taylor swift bday party as well, and I was also googling for ideas when it brought up your blog. We also dont have a huge amount to spend on her party and your ideas will be so easy to pull off! Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps I pinned this on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pamela--You're welcome and thank you for Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)