Friday, December 23, 2011

Date Night {OUT}: Christmas Quotations (our anniversary randomness)

Matt and I celebrated our anniversary Wednesday night {whoot whoot}

This year it was my turn to plan the event and I really wrangled with what to do.  We just got back from Las Vegas on Sunday so going to a great hotel or bed-n-breakfast was out.  We ate at Alize and trust me, nothing in Wyoming or Colorado compares with Alize ... so all the typical "romantical" anniversary stuff was ... well, not gonna cut it.

So I decided to go a route that SO isn't me.  I mean, dinner was NOT the main event.  I didn't wear a dress, skirt, or any fancy jewelry.  The whole date was activity based, free-flowing, and didn't involve a single reservation.  Oh, and did I mention that is was totally based of quotations from Christmas movies?  I swear my brain is 53% song lyrics, 37% movie quotations and the rest is just junk.

What you need for the date:

  • 8 cards (I made mine from scrapbook paper.  You can just buy a holiday pack of cards at the dollar store if you aren't feeling the craftiness). 7 activity cards; 1 invitation card
  • A gift for your partner (wrapped with a bow ... this will make sense I promise)
  • 7 activities
  • A babysitter
  • 4 + hours
  • 8 Christmas movie quotations
Okay, so what I basically did here was put the Christmas movie quotation on the front of the card (or the envelope if you go the pre-made card route).  This served as the "clue."  Before we went to our activity, my husband had to read the quotation/clue and try to decipher what we were doing.  When he was ready, he opened the card to find out what was going on!

Invitation

The morning of your date, give your partner a card with this quotation from Scrooged on it.  "If I can't work late, I can't work late!"  Inside write: Tonight you can't work late because we've got some lovin' to celebrate.  Be ready to leave for a Christmas-themed dating extravaganza at _____ o'clock"

Quotes and Activities

Here's what the rest of our cards said!

#1--"It is a crappy cup of coffee!"

Go get a hot drink.

#2--"You'll shoot your eye out, kid."

You taught me to drive a motor cycle; now teach me to shoot a hand gun.

That's right. We went to a shooting range and shot a 9mm Glock.  We did several different games--like who could get the highest points from the target (R=90; M=72) or who could make the highest poker hand with the card target (M=four of a kind; R=full house).



#3--"Keep the change you filthy animal!"

Well it doesn't have to be a cheese pizza and you don't get it all to yourself but let's head to our favorite pizza spot for some pizza and a game.

Matt decided he'd rather do 5 Guys Burger and Fries over pizza so we went that route.  Our justification is that Kevin in Home Alone is eating rubbish while watching "Angels with Filthy Souls" and burgers are junk food so ... there's a connection there.

For our dinner game we played "Would you rather .... the Christmas Movie edition."  No, you can't buy it; you have to make it up.  For example, would you rather hug the raccoon from Elf or the ghost of Christmas present?  Would you rather see your future or see what life would be like if you were never born? Would you rather eat a cotton ball or chew a piece of gum you found in a NY subway? Would you rather have your head burned with a blow torch or step bare foot onto a nail?  You get it ...

#4--"Is your house on fire, Clark?"

Let's drive around and find the best house "on fire"

We decided to go to the Garden of Lights instead of looking at house lights :)  Fun either way.

#5--"Well you look about the kind of angel I'd get.  Kind of a fallen angel, aren't you?  Where are your wings?"

Let's go to a place where "Angels" sell naughty things that are nice to look at.  You pick something out for me to wear tonight.  

This one was the hardest for Matt to figure out (he didn't get the Victoria's Secret Angels connection).  That being said, I get the distinct feeling this was his favorite activity of the night ... and we shot hand guns!  

Lingerie--the ultimate Homer gift!

Source
#6--"We elves like to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns, and syrup."

Let go grab a sweet treat!

Here's something funny.  In "big" cities people go out to eat late (well, not all people but it's an option.  A 10 0'clock reservation isn't unheard of in Vegas, Rome, New York ...).  Unfortunately the restaurants we tried all closed at 9.  So we ended up getting pie from Perkins.  Awesome.

#7--"There's always time for a bow."

Let's go home and unwrap your gift! (please note the double entendre) 

Some other activities/ideas:

  • Fa ra ra ra ra--Go eat Chinese food
  • And if you see a sign that says 'peep show' it doesn't mean that they are letting you look at the new toys before Christmas--a little dance in that new lingerie
  • God bless us, everyone--Spend some time praying together
  • I took a shower washing every body part with actual soap including all my major crevices--including in between my toes and in my belly button which I never did before but sort of enjoyed--take a steamy shower together
If you can't leave the house or need to do this date on a dime, you could: make cocoa, shoot nerf guns, eat a homemade pizza, look at the lights on your own tree, wrap (and then unwrap) lingerie you already own, eat ice cream, etc.  You are only as limited as your imagination. :)

It really is a wonderful life.




1 comment:

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)