Wednesday, November 16, 2011

What I Think About: The Breaking Dawn Soundtrack

Am I one of "those moms" that got sucked into the Twilight craze?

Guilty as charged.

However, my expectations for Breaking Dawn I are quite limited given the fact that I found the entire book Breaking Dawn to be literary crap (but apparently that kind of crap can make you millions whereas my criticism gets me nothin').  Nonetheless, for my sister's birthday I am taking her to a Twilight Marathon.  We will watch ALL of the previous three movies and then at midnight on the 18th, we'll see the premier of Breaking Dawn.


To rev myself up for the movie, I bought the new soundtrack.

Here's the deal--even if you don't like Twilight, the first three soundtracks were dead on.  Muse, Linkin Park, Death Cab for Cutie, Band of Horses, Bon Iver, Grizzly Bear, Sia, Florence + the Machine, The Bravery, Metric ... this is like the dreamiest conglomeration of musical genius ever.  Even my husband who is on "Team guy who almost ran Bella over" can't deny that the Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse soundtracks are pure ear candy.

Imagine my disappointment when I learned that Bruno Mars was the main headliner for Breaking Dawn. I nearly cried, except I almost never cry and when I do cry, it's got nothin' to do with Bruno Mars.  Anyhow, ick.  That was my main thought.

But I'm a girl who likes to gamble so I bought the soundtrack.

My gut reaction to the soundtrack is "eh."  Yep.  That's about all the excitement I can muster.

Don't misunderstand me, there are good songs on the soundtrack.  Iron and Wine re-envisioned Flightless Bird, American Mouth and somehow its mournful sound is even more romantic.  Christina Perry's love ballad is catchy and teens everywhere will no doubt make out to it.  Northern Lights by Cider Sky has a soothing rhythm.  The sweeping analogy Turning Page by Sleeping At Last was by far my favorite song on the album.  There are good songs on the album.

I love that the creators {mostly} gave the spotlight to independent artists; however, I'm disappointed that this album ignores its predecessors' amazing alternative/indie roots and leaps straight into the tween pop scene.

What I think is the Breaking Dawn I soundtrack is worth a listen but since you have to buy the whole album, I'd go halfsies friend and burn a copy.

Have you heard the soundtrack?  Your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I haven't heard the soundtrack, but I agree that Breaking Dawn was one of the worst books to ever sell a zillion copies. Really crappy. Horrible. If we were in the pre-charmin days, I'd have put my copy in the outhouse where it could serve a higher purpose than that for which it was originally intended.

    Am I going to watch the movie? Of course. Who isn't?

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)