Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Days of Play: Freeze Dance

I'm not gonna lie.  At our house, we like to shake it.  We've been known to turn on tunes and boogie around the living rooms.  We're famous for leaving a meal half-eaten so we can get up, and get down to a favorite song.  If it involves music and dancing, we are in!

Embrace the love of music and dancing with your kiddos today (singing optional but suggested).

When you have a spare 5-10 minutes, turn on some music you can dance to (for us, this is anything from "Are you gonna be my girl" and "Girls just want to have fun" to "Pop goes the Weasel").

Now, explain to your kids that you are going to dance like wild while the music plays but when it stops, they have to "freeze" into a funny position.  They can get going again when the music starts up again.

I want to tell you this activity is great to help children learn to have self-control and to listen to directions but I don't know if it's true or not.  I DO know that your kids will like it and sometimes, that's the most "developmentally appropriate" option.

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)