Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Days of Play--Sit Still

Do you ever just pack too much into a week.  Park days, play dates, errands, shopping, VBS, a trip to grandmas ...?

Every summer I tell myself, "this summer we are going to relax and enjoy."  And then I fill our summer days with crazy fun activities but feel so harried getting to all the fun that by the end of the day, I wonder why I planned so much.

Please tell me I'm not alone!

Last week my daughter asked what we were doing for the day.  So I told her of the big fun coming her way and she sighed.  I asked what was wrong and she said she never gets to spend time with me.

Now to be honest, my mouth hit the floor.  I'm a stay-at-home-mom.  She gets to spend time with me, trust me!  I launched into a very adult defensive mode where I recounted every special event and moment we shared the past few days.  And she gave me this look.  THE look.  The look I didn't think I'd have to deal with until she was a teenager.  And her words cut to the bone.

I don't want to just do stuff with you.  I want to be with you.

Ouch.

All this time I'm thinking these fun events are meeting her needs when what she wants is my total attention.  Not another craft.  Not a water fight.  A few minutes on my lap laughing about the word poop (I still don't understand why this word is funny) or reading a story.

So today, carve out fifteen minutes (or an hour--whatever) and sit still with your children.  Read them a book.  Tell them a story or silly jokes.  Look through a photo album.  Don't let phone calls or tidying up distract you.  Sit still.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true! Eli is the same way.I've been trying so hard to balance these days in the midst of all the summer fun.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)