Wednesday, May 11, 2011

What I Think About: Slut Walks

Have you heard of slut walks

Essentially, a woman in Toronto was raped and one of Toronto's finest said that women probably wouldn't get raped if they didn't dress like sluts.

Classic.  Blame the victim.

Spoken like a true man (expect that all the "real" men I know would call that line a crock of crap!)

So women in Toronto and the US are putting on "Slut Walks" to bring awareness to the oppressive and hypocritical nature of the word "slut" and challenge the belief that a woman who shows a bit too much skin is "asking" to be raped.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about dressing nicely and modestly. 

If you remember I did a post a while black on Little Black Dress Disasters where I sound off on why I hate "slutty" LBDs.  I don't want women to show too much to cover up for a lack of self-esteem.  However much I disdain these little dresses I simply cannot subscribe to any rule that says a girl who wears barely-there dresses deserves to be sexually assaulted.  Such clothing might make a girl lose a man's respect but it shouldn't cause her to lose her safety!

Confidence makes me sexy--not my lack of clothing. 

However, not every woman gets this memo.

From the time we are little girls we are getting "roped" into the man's world of what women "should" look like.  There are bikinis and thongs for toddlers.  Huge chested "Angels" on pink billboards beckon our men to crave those airbrushed bodies.  Even our beloved princesses are scantily clad sex symbols asking to be loved because of their looks and NOT their characters. (P.S. I go on a princess tirade here).

It appears we first make sluts and then punish them.

Men want to see skin.  They want to see sex.  But if a woman buys into that lie (or has the audacity to grow breasts in 5th grade) she is labeled a slut.  And sluts get what they deserve when the dress EXACTLY the way billion-dollar campaign advertisements tell them to?

I'm calling FOUL!

Women are molested, and raped, and abused for many reasons and there is NOT. ONE. REASON. THAT. JUSTIFIES. THE. PERPETRATOR'S. ACTIONS.

EVER!


I want women to feel safe and secure in who they are.  I want them to feel sexy and empowered in jeans and yoga pants.  I don't want women to EVER feel like they have to wear daisy-duke shorts and barely-there tops to be valued by men.  However, if women want to dress like that, they should still be safe to walk about freely without "asking" to be raped.


So what I think about Slut Walks is that if one comes to a town near me--I'm signing up!  You'll see me there in my normal clothing (plus some awesome stilettos) supporting the right of women to be safe regardless of what they are wearing.


Thanks to Shell at Things I Can't Say for hosting my random Wednesday rants!


3 comments:

  1. Absolutely agree with everything you said. When will the victims stop being treated like it is their fault? No really does mean NO, no matter what someone is wearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. Sadly it's a very thin excuse because it doesn't only happen to so-called provocatively dressed women. Far from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome commentary! I couldn't agree with you more.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)