Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Days of Play: It's Classified

When M.E. did her kindergarten screening she was encouraged to classify items.  Luckily, she was able to do it with ease.  I like to thank my intense OCD organizing bone for this.  She's been able to tell fairy shoes from Barbie shoes for about three years.

Anyhow, I got inspired to do a classification game with my children.

First, I got all of my shoes and put them into a massive heap on the living room floor.

Can I take a minute hear to say that I do not have a shoe problem.  Shoes have a Reagan problem.

Moving on.

When the shoes were good and mixed up, I had Paxton and M.E. put them into "groups" or classifications.  We did this several times.  One time we classified by color.  Another time by pattern.  Another time by "type" (ballet flat, boots, etc.).  It was pretty entertaining to watch my kids toting shoes and grouping them.

And now I feel pretty good about M.E.'s ability to learn about animal taxonomies.

Happy playing!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! As a mom and an slp. ;) Eli loves to do this with his big bucket of 100+ Hot Wheels. Started with colors and moved to type of vehicle, etc. He is also pretty great at sorting clean laundry which is actually helpful! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my professors did that last semester to show us how we can introduce classifications to our students. :)

    Also, YOU dumped something into a pile without having a panic attack?! Maybe Pax's exposure therapy is working?

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)