Friday, March 11, 2011

My Favorite Posts {DAY 5}--How to Wear Skinny Jeans

For no particular reason than to simply take a break from blogging as I gear up for a fun filled  romantic getaway with my hot husband, I'm going to share some of my favorite posts from 2010.

According to my stat analyzer, this is my most popular post.  Apparently people out there on the web want to know who can can wear skinnies and how.  If that's you, read on.  If it's not you, read on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I highlighted skinny jeans in some previous posts--one on how to make your bum look smaller and one getting Jessica Alba's look for less.

Both times I've gotten comments and e-mails from gals stating:
  1. They want to know how to wear skinny jeans.
  2. Skinny jeans are for tall, thin people.
Today I will address both.


Skinny jeans are for tall, thin people
I agree that skinny jeans tend to flatter those with eating disorders.  That being said, I have a hard time thinking of many trends that are geared toward "short, muffin top, ample bottomed" women.  Okay, I guess there are mumus but I'm not jumping on that trend!  Think about your average model and celebrity--they are tall and thin.  Our society values the way clothes look on tall, slender men and women.

So what are we short, curvy women to wear?  Nothing?  Hardly.  Even if you don't have a model body, you can still wear trendy garb.

How to wear skinny jeans

Okay, now that we've cleared up the misconception that only tall and thin women can look pulled together and sexy, let's address the issue that makes some women's stomachs tighten into a knot of anxiety--SKINNY JEANS.

Find the type of skinny jean that works for you. 
Skinnies come in SuperSkinny (the painted on look), Skinny (stretchy jeans that taper at the ankle), and Straight Skinny (a cigarette-shaped, straight leg skinny that doesn't cling too tightly.  These are great for the skinny-shy).
Buy a pair of skinny jeans in a dark color (black or dark denim) with a slight stretch. 
Consider buying one size bigger if you need the extra hip room.  You can always wear a skinny belt and a tunic to cover it!
Play with skinny jean length.
Role up your skinny jeans (a la 1980s) for a casual, sexy look.  
Get skinny jeans at ankle or capri length if you are short 

 Wear your skinny jeans with the right top.
Balance out the skinny jeans with volume on top.  Bell sleeve tops or tunics are great.  A tunic with a belt helps hide large hips.  Empire waist tops are great for hiding wide hips and ample bottoms.  Long, lean tops that hit at hip level are fabulous.
This long, flowy top looks awesome--not to mention those hot, peep toe heels!

Perfect shoe pairings with skinny jeans
  • If you have larger hips and bum, tuck skinny jeans into high heeled boots to balance out proportions.
  • Wear skinny jeans with high heels.  Pointy toe heels will give the illusion of longer legs.  Peep toe sandals and wedges make you look taller, leaner, and sexier!
  • If you are tall and slender, wear your skinny jeans with ballet flats **warning** this does make you look fuller around the hip area!
  • DO NOT wear skinny jeans with Converse All-Stars unless you want to look like a high school student.  It's a cute style--if you are 17.
 Tunics, belts, and boots--Easy ways to wear skinnies if you AREN'T the model type!
Want more information?  Watch this two minute video!


How to Wear Skinny Jeans -- powered by eHow.com

What I think is that YOU, yes YOU, can wear skinny jeans.  Work it girl!

1 comment:

  1. I tend to find that if you have quite short legs (or legs that are a little chunky) it's better to wear them with calf high boots rather than knee because it gives the illusion of longer legs.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)