Sunday, March 27, 2011

Daniel Fast Menu {Week 1}

Sarah from Frontier Kitchen asked that I post my weekly diet for the Daniel Fast.  So, here's a recap of week 1.

Remember this is a vegan diet.  No animal products (dairy, eggs, meat, butter).  No sweeteners--natural or not (white sugar, cane sugar, molasses, honey, agave nectar, splenda, etc.).  No leavening (no bread or anything with yeast, baking powder, or baking sugar).

During his fast Daniel ate only fruits and vegetables.  However the original language was "foods from seeds, which is why the diet does include whole grains (whole wheat pasta, oat bran, etc.).

Finally, though we can use soy, almond, or coconut milk sparingly, we are not allowed to drink anything other than water.  No herbal teas, no juices, no soy milk to drink.  Just water.

Now that I've covered the bases, here what we ate (okay, not "we" as in kids just "we" as in Matt and I. The kids ate their general foods at breakfast and lunch but ate the same dinners).

Monday
Breakfast--Strawberry-banana smoothie with coconut milk
Snack--rice cake with natural peanut butter and bananas
Lunch--Vegetable soup
Snack--ants on a log
Dinner--black bean stirfry served over brown rice (This meal was more of a one-pan skillet dish than stir-fry.  It was filling and tasted okay but not my favorite.)

Tuesday

Breakfast--Hot oat bran with diced apples, raisins, and a dash of cinnamon and ground cloves
Snack--corn chips and salsa
Lunch--whole wheat pasta and marinara (fancy for spaghetti)
Snack--raw veggies and roasted red pepper and garlic hummus
Dinner--Greek stuffed peppers

Wednesday
Breakfast--potato and onion frittata
Snack--apple slices
Lunch--beans and rice in whole wheat tortillas
Snack--Triscuits (original) and hummus
Dinner--Vegan chili with homemade corn muffins

Thursday

Breakfast--Blueberry and banana smoothie with soy milk
Snack--bananas, peanut butter, and raisins
Lunch--hummus and veggies, whole wheat tortilla wraps
Snack--mandarin orange
Dinner--Antipasto Pizza  (Okay, this pizza tasted good BUT the rice crust totally fell apart so it was more like a rice pizza casserole.  This week I'm going to follow marinara directions but put it on flat bread!)

Friday

Breakfast--Tofu breakfast scramble
Snack--apple
Lunch--tomato basil soup (use vegetable broth, omit Parmesan, and use soy or rice milk)
Snack--veggies and garlic scape hummus
Dinner--chipotle black bean burger (omit onion soup mix) with organic corn tortillas, tomatoes, diced onion, and green pepper

Saturday
Breakfast--Whole wheat shredded wheat, soy milk, banana
Snack--rice cake and PB with banana
Lunch--baked potatoes with homemade salsa
Snack--ants on a log
Dinner--spinach pesto over whole wheat pasta (omit Parmesan)

Sunday
Breakfast--peanut butter and banana smoothie with coconut milk
Snack--strawberries
Lunch--Greek salad
Snack--Triscuits and hummus
Dinner--Mexican black beans and brown rice (black beans, Rotel tomatoes, cilantro, brown rice and lime juice) in whole wheat tortillas

Some other things we ate:
Oatmeal raisin cookies (dense and filling)
Amy's Vegan soups
Organic store bought corn chips (I tried making my own with this recipe and we did NOT like them)
fruit salad
banana ice cream (only one ingredient!)
popcorn

My Exercise Plan:
Monday/Thursday: 30 minutes on the elliptical, P90X Ab ripper
Tuesday/Friday: 45 minutes on elliptical
Saturday:  Elliptical for one hour and Elise Gulan's 10 minute ab workout Straight To The Core

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I'm all inspired to do more vegan cooking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - you are doing an amazing job! I try to eat vegan meals at least 3 days a week, but I don't know if I could do it for that long - good for you! How do you feel? What changes are you noticing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly--

    I feel GREAT. I'm craving chocolate and miss my morning cup of hot tea but other than that I feel amazing. Tons of energy.

    My husband is dying for some dairy, though. Poor guy!

    When this fast is done I plan on maintaining a few vegan meals a week as well.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)