Monday, February 28, 2011

Things that Make You Go Mmmmm!

What do lemons, garlic, milk, cinnamon, and chicken have in common?  Nothing, except for making the best darn chicken EVER!



I know I generally don't do food posts because though I love to cook, I'm better at following directions than making stuff up.  But, I just HAD to share this recipe.

The History:
When Sarah and I forced our husbands did our Iron Man double date, I was looking for recipes that combined chicken and cinnamon.

I found this Jamie Oliver recipe for Chicken in Milk. (<---Click that link to get the recipe. I'm not into stealing!)

Chicken baked in milk with lemons.

If you just got the heebie jeebies, I don't blame you.  It sounds weird.  But I kind of like weird and couldn't wait to try it.

The Experience:

So, I browned butter, which the recipe doesn't call for but I like browned butter and it was my chicken so I did what I wanted.  Brown the butter, season the chicken VERY liberally with kosher salt and pepper and toss it in a pot.  Brown the chicken all over until it is a delightful golden color.


When the chicken is golden, remove it to a plate and toss out the rest of the butter.  Leave the caramelized goo (yes, that is the scientific name) at the bottom of the pot.  Return the chicken to the pot and add the remaining ingredients.


Now, here are some changes I made to the ingredients: I used a 5.5 lb. chicken, the zest of three lemons and the juice of one (next time I'll use the juice of 2!), 2 T. dried sage, a full cinnamon stick and I used 8 cloves of garlic (unminced).

Put a lid on the chicken and pop into an oven pre-heated to 375'.

The original recipe did not call for the chicken to be covered but I thought it would make it more tender.  So, I baked with lid on for 1 hour and with the lid off for 45 minutes (I adjusted the time for the chicken size).

The smell of this chicken baking was totally groan worthy.  I could hardly stop myself from climbing into the oven just to soak in the smell.  Mmmmm....

The Result:

I'm not alone in saying this was the best chicken I've ever made/eaten!


The meat practically fell off the chicken and the gravy was not white but more closely resembeled a thinner chicken gravy.

But the taste, oh the taste!

Let me be honest.  I literally ladeled a few spoonfuls of the gravy into my mouth.  And when gravy is good enough to drink plain, it is G.O.O.D.!

My kids ate it.  My husband devoured it.  My dad and I had seconds (or maybe thirds), and my mom cleaned her plate!  It was DIVINE!

The Pros:
The best thing about this chicken was how amazingly easy it was to make.  If you can zest a lemon you've got it made because that's the hardest part.  Brown and bake.  Done.

I served this with mashed potatoes.  I do wish I would have had bread to spread the soft garlic cloves onto but I didn't so I just ate them with bits of chicken.  That was good, bread is better.  Serve with bread, potatoes, and a green veggie!

Do I have you convinced or are you still totally grossed out at the thought of milk and chicken?

5 comments:

  1. I am salivating over this chicken - sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced! I'm going to try this, thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You convinced me....I am making this for dinner tonight. I can't wait. Thanks for finding this, trying it out and sharing. Just one of the MANY things I love about being your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought a whole chicken yesterday so I can make this tomorrow! Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made this last night for dinner, and lets just say, that when my kids devour it and ask for more, it is a smashing success. However, you mentioned using two lemons instead of one, and when I did that, I thought that it made it a little too lemony. Maybe use just one and half instead. Thanks, again, for the amazing recipe.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)