Monday, January 10, 2011

You Say It's Your Birthday ...

Na na na na na na

It's my {blog's} birthday too, ya!

Where is the ME in Mommy? is officially one year old.  WaHoo!

Ah, such sweet memories.

As I reminisce over this blog I am forced to remember why I started it. What was my vision?  My mission?  My goals?  Have I stuck to them?

{GULP}

This is NOT where I tell you that this is my last post and that as of now, Where is the ME in Mommy? is no longer a functional blog.

This IS where I confess a few things about blogging.

1.  I started a blog because I was struggling with balancing all of my identities and wanted to be a part of a community of women struggling with the same issues.  Perhaps we could encourage one another.  Perhaps not feeling alone would be enough to help us not pull out our hair.

Today, I'm not sure I'm meeting that goal.  I never do anything "half way" so I really feel like I have to post something everyday.  So I came up with a schedule of "things" to help organize my thoughts and get something written. Everyday.

But then I stopped writing because I longed for encouragement and community and started writing because it was on my "to do" list.  That's not who I want to be or what I want this blog to be.

2.  When I started blogging I had no idea about the "niche" blog concept.  Niche blogs focus on one main topic and dabble in smaller topics.  For example, a fashion blog deals with fashion but might extend into decorating and arts.

Suffice it to say having a blog about balancing the roles of women isn't exactly a niche. It's a "jack of all trades" approach.  Most people say this approach won't work--that if you cover too much you won't have an audience.  So I tried *really* hard to limit what I wrote about.  This helped organize my days of writing: cleaning, opinions, dates, play ideas ...

What I've come to realize is that even focusing my main topics into a few areas really isn't what this blog is about.  How do you break down topics surrounding women, wifehood, and motherhood into one or two simple "niche" topics?  Isn't that the problem?  We try to limit women to a few areas at the expense of others.  Why can't I share the wide variety of my thoughts and struggles mixing issues of faith with fashion with funny stories about poop?  Isn't that what "finding the balance" really looks like?

Yes, I like fashion, but I like more than fashion.  Yes, I love my kids but I'm interested in more than my kids.  Yes, I love to cook but I like more than cooking.  Why then must I limit myself and my blog to certain "niche" topics?

Plus, when it all comes down to it, even "niche" blogs have limits too.  I mean, book review blogs or celeb gossip blogs only draw the attention of people LOOKING for those topics.  So maybe no one will come to my blog since it isn't solely focused on crafts.  If that's the worst that will happen, I'll take it!

3.  Followers are addicting.  Early on I was watching my stats page like a crazy person and rejoicing each time I had a new follower.  Of course this means I was practically distraught on days with fewer than a hundred looksies and I can't even begin to explain the trauma behind being "un-followed".

Sigh.

I wish I didn't want to be like so much.  But I'm human and I do.  The question is, at what cost?  Do I want to be liked at the cost of foregoing my mission, vision, and values?

I guess the reason I'm writing this is to say, I'm going to keep blogging ... MY WAY.

It might not be everyday but I'm going to keep it up.

I'm going to stop "forcing" topics because they are on the "To Do" list.  This means you may not see many cleaning/organizing posts.  It means you might not see a post on Tuesday (because something awesome is in the works for Friday).

I am going to keep my priorities straight.  I'm passionate about women being opinionated (and educated) so you can expect me to keep writing "What I Think About" posts.  I am passionate about dating your husband and spending INTENTIONAL play time with your kids so you'll see posts on that too.

Other than that, I can't tell you what 2011 will look like for Where is the ME in Mommy?

And I kinda like how that feels.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's more important to stick to quality over quantity when it comes to blogging. Blog about what you're passionate about.

    And I like the slightly random topics you post about. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to your intentional play posts!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)