Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What I Think About--Miley Cyrus



Oh my goodness, there is a lot of controversy surrounding Miley Cyrus, isn't there?
Photo Source
The young lady dresses scantily, grinds against men old enough to be her father, and enjoys a hit on the ol' hooka bong now and then.

Kinda makes me sad and reminisce about the days when she looked like this:
Photo Source
Is her progression from quirky teen to sexy woman normal or is Miss Cyrus trying to tell us something with her "Can't be Tamed" CD title?

Honestly, I think the desire to "flip" from one persona to another is a very normal, developmental change in teenagers.  I'd wager a bet that I'm not the only one who went to college hoping that the "new" Reagan would be prettier, wittier, and more fun than "high school" Reagan.  I'd even bet I'm not the only one who, when not under the microscope of Steve the "that's skirt is too short" fashion police father, tended to dress a bit sexier.  I'm probably not alone in saying that I too dabbled in parting and "hooka-ing" and grinding.

I guess what I'm saying is ya, I wish Miley Cyrus would have kept her young, innocent look but I'm not surprised that she wants to grow up.  Are you still wearing the clothes and behaving the way you did when you were eleven?  Of course not and we can't expect Miley to stay eleven forever, either.

So many moms I know are super irritated at Miley's new look because she is no longer a role model for young girls.

I take exception to this.

In order to get good role models for our daughters, we allow someone else's daughter to be thrown onto a very adult world pedestal.

We let those girls work adult hours and make adult money so that our daughters are entertained.

We sacrifice the youth and innocence of someone else's little girl because they are getting paid.

We have no problem with role model girls living adult lives as long as they look like kids but the second those role model girls become women--the second they want to rid themselves of their teenage persona and grow up, we turn on them because they no longer meet our expectations of all things good and pure. 

We lament their bad choices in hair color, boyfriends, and clothing not because we care about THEM but because of how they might affect our children.

Isn't it about time we stop and think about the ways in which our need to have role models for our children (rather than BE role models for our children) and our insatiable desire for our kids to be entertained leads to the creation of these "role model girls gone wild"?

Am I the only one pondering how the American obsession for child "role model" stars leads to those child stars being absolute messes as adults?

What I think about Miley Cyrus is that she is a beautiful and talented young woman.  I wish that she would focus on her talents and character more than her body and parties but when it comes down to it, I recognize that for the past 10 years, we've paid her to entertain us like an adult. And now she's an adult, trying to entertain us like so many adults do--with her looks and her body more than her self-worth and value.

I'll end with this, if you want a good role model for your daughter and son, I'd suggest that you put them around real, quality men and women--and that includes YOU.

9 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more! It is not her fault, it is ours, if our children lack the right role models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, here! I agree COMPLETELY!!

    My daughter is 9 and doesn't have a CLUE who Miley Cyrus is.. and that's ON PURPOSE. If you don't see someone as an appropriate role model, then don't let your kids see them! Duh. Hannah Montanna is even too risque at times, for me. All about boys, boyfriends, kissing boys, etc. Great for a pre-teen.. not yet appropriate, imo, for my tween.

    I also think what she's doing is fairly normal - but I pray she doesn't go off the deep end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post. In an age where it is sometimes easier to let the TV do the entertaining of our children we need to stop and think who really are they looking up to. I do hope my daughter always looks up to me...Good food for thought...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best thing I can do for my kids' self esteem is make them comfortable with being different. The more they try to fit in with celebrity role models, the more they feel like they should fit in with them. It's confusing for them and it's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree 100%!!!! People worry too much about famous people's kids. Parents should spend more time setting a good example themselves and stop expecting other kids to do it for them! (Look what happened to poor Britney!)
    I feel bad for Miley - clearly she is just trying to find herself and how she fits in as an adult. Unfortunately, as you said, she is going about it the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is the best post about her that I've read. It is natural to act out and try to redefine yourself when you are her age. But, the rest of us don't have a spotlight on us as we try to figure out who we are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've rarely thought about this...well, maybe for a few minutes with all the Tiger Woods hoopla a while back. It was good to think about. Even though my kids don't really know anything about people in pop culture yet --I'm sure the day will come!

    This actually made me feel really bad for Miley Cyrus. Very good points and it was great to hear somebody defending the poor girl instead of just talking badly about her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reagan this is a great post and I agree 100%. I think that parents wouldnt be so mad about what kind of role model she is being if they didn't let their 6 and 7 year olds watch shows that are about kids in high school dealing with high school situations. They allow their children to watch these shows that in my opinion are for older kids and then are mad when the children in the shows grow up. I think it's sickening that as a society we don't allow ALL kids to go through the normal growing up process. If they are children who have grown up in the spot light, then we expct them to remain children forever, for our benefit. I am going to make Chris read this post, he's a Miley hater and I hope this opens his eyes a little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have children but I saw no harm in Hannah Montana, her show was identical to every other show aimed at teenage girls. I find it silly that mums tut and wag their fingers at short skirts and sexy dancing when given the opportunity all those years ago they would have behaved in exactly the same way. Miley grew up, it's perfectly normal I can't understand what all the fuss is about.
    I am a firm believer in not pushing children to grow up too fast because of this when I do have children I'll be careful about the things they can watch and the games they play, but I'd hope all parents do that anyway?

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)