I'm a Gleek!
Though Glee doesn't fairly portray glee clubs the TV show does portray some pretty raw, very real life problem.
- Teenagers are having sex and having babies.
- Athletics are often over-funded while the arts are under-funded.
- Differently abled students do not receive "fair" or "equal" treatment.
- Bullying and harassment--especially as directed toward sexual minorities--is out of control.
- Teachers most often respond to bullying (again, especially directed to GLBTQQI) without response. Non-intervention is a systemic problem that only exacerbates harassment.
And I really love that Glee doesn't back down. The show has come under fire for numerous issues: drug use, teenage sex, homosexuality ... the list goes on. But the writers and actors seem to get something: these are REAL issues and ignoring them for the past few decades hasn't exactly work.
Perhaps Glee's IN YOUR FACE approach is what I love most.
They show us our true colors. And if we don't like what we see, then perhaps it's time for a change. Not in channels, but in society.