Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What I Think About--My Little Girl Growing Up

Whether you can believe it or not, I'm a mess.

M.E. is five today.

Five.

I keep trying to figure out where the time has gone.

Wasn't it just yesterday I found out I was pregnant?

It feels like it has just been hours since I first held her in my arms.

Surely it was just minutes ago that she started saying "mama" and "dada.

It can't be more than a few seconds ago that she started toddling around and exploring.

And now she's at that delightful age of begging to stay up until midnight (she doesn't even "get" what midnight is yet) and gearing up for kindergarten.  

Some times the days feel like they go slowly but the years go by so fast.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those moms who wants my children to stay babies forever.  I've loved every age and every new season.  I look forward to reading Anne of Green Gables together, having "the" talk, and going shopping for wedding dresses.

I look forward to the lifetime of companionship that mothers and daughters have (Yes, I know moms and sons have great relationships too).

But today, if only for today, while I can hope and dream about the kind of woman she'll become, I'm just a bit sad that these days don't last forever.

To me, being a mom is a glorious burden.  So much hope for the future rides on the lives of my children.  And yet I fear that I am not enough--that I won't do the right things, say the right things, or teach the right lessons.

Every day as this baby becomes a girl, becomes a young lady, becomes a woman I cry out to God and ask that He make me the kind of woman this little girl thinks I am.  She's watching me.

















Happy 5th Birthday to our Big Girl!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I remember seeing her in her little carseat carrier when you guys lived in Laramie. Time does go by fast! 5! --This is an exciting year for all of you! Have fun celebrating her today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is such a beautiful young lady!!! Congrats to you mama, for raising such a lovely girl. :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)