Thursday, December 2, 2010

{Holiday} Things I Love--Christmas Movies

I'm a sucker for a good Christmas movie.  I've always loved them.  I'm really not picky either. I can watch some sappy, poorly acted Holiday in Handcuffs family channel movie and be perfectly content.  Though I'm game for watching Frosty, Rudolph, Miracle on 34th Street, Bells of St. Mary's and A Christmas Story (I remember the year I figured out what word Ralphie said by the side of the road), I do have my favorite, must watch Christmas movies.

Here are my top 5 favorite Christmas Movies:

5.  ELF 
  Outlandish, non-nonsensical, and poorly acted--I love this movie!  Silly one liners (Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?  I like smiling; smiling's my favorite) and the great singing talent of Zooey Deschanel make this a must watch in our home).
Source
 4.  The Grinch Who Stole Christmas
I saw the Grinch Who Stole Christmas in a sold out theater.  It was the best movie-going experience of my life.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  The stuffy, hot theater, the sound of Anthony Hopkins voice, the sight of a gently falling snowflake.  Awww the memories.  I love this show (good thing too because M.E. likes to watch it through January and then wants to start watching it by the first of August)!
Source
  3.  National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
"Griswold, where are you gonna put a tree that big?"  Bend over and I'll show ya.


Need I saw more?
Source
 2. Love Actually
This is not a family-friendly show.  It's packed with nudity and enough F-Bombs to make you fear a war has started.  None the less, the British humor is charming, Hugh Grant's dance is hysterical, and the point is well taken.  Love actually is all around.
Source
 1. It's a Wonderful Life
Alas my holiday favorite is the original, black and white version of It's a Wonderful Life.  I'm convinced NO ONE loves this movie as much as I do.  I'm teary-eyed for nearly the entire show.  I just relate to George in so many ways--ambivalence about roads not taken, feeling insignificant, fearing for my future and the future of my family.  And I'm always gently reminded, by this movie, about what really matters in life--"All you can take with you is that which you have given away."
Source
 And those are my favorite holiday movies (though I feel guilty skipping Scrooged.  My husband's fave is #6 on my list.  Sorry to break it to you, babe!).

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Elf! When I was preggo with Lillian, and before we knew she was a girl, I referred to her as Francisco. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elf is my favorite. I also love Home Alone, Christmas Story, Nativity Story. I usually don't like Santa Clause type movies but I love watching the Santa Clause movies with Tim Allen.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)