Friday, December 10, 2010

30/30--Lessons Learned

On November 7, 2010 I started my 30/30 adventure.

I chose 30 items from my closet and promised not to wear anything else beside those 30 pieces (minus outerwear, underwear, and accessories) for 30 days.

My purpose for doing this was two-fold:
1.  I am constantly fighting the inner, materialistic "me" and I thought using only 30 pieces would greatly help my attitude.  In essence, I wanted to learn to be grateful for what I have and not constantly look for new "things" to make me happy.

2.  I wanted to become more adventurous with my clothing.  It is really easy to have simple, go to outfits. But what happens when you can't wear those?  Well, you get creative.

Tuesday I completed my challenge! {Insert congratulations, cheesecake, and happy dances here}

After 30 (somewhat long) days, I've definitely learned something about my clothes and myself.

What I learned about clothing:
  • I have enough clothing.  30 different outfits from 30 pieces and I didn't even wear all of them more than once.  If you've got more than 30 pieces of clothing, you've got enough too!
  • I didn't do a good job with my picks.  I'm a jeans and sweaters girl and I didn't have enough of either. I had too many work clothes and not enough weather-appropriate gear. This is code for "I froze 19 days out of 30." None-the-less, I made it work!
  • In an effort to play it safe I chose too many neutrals.  And I learned that too many na-na-na-neutrals is ba-ba-ba-boring!
  • I should have stuck to the Real Simple clothing basics list.  I had a black blazer, black dress, and a denim jacket but I put them back.  Why oh why did I do that? Stupid, stupid, stupid!
  • I love my accessories!  Yay for scarves, hats, necklaces, and bracelets!  I've said it before (and now I have pictorial proof), accessories make the outfit.  Bonus that you can find them cheaply!
  • My most-often worn pieces were from thrift stores--not bought new off the shelf.  Let that be a lesson to us all!
  • Though I tired of wearing the same pieces over and over, it was surprisingly easy to have such limited choices.  I didn't have to agonize; I could grab-n-go!
  • I really, really, really love my red MaryJanes.
What I learned about myself:
  • I'm not very creative about putting outfits together.  I play it safe WAY too much!  Ironically, my "wildest" outfits were my most popular ... hmmmmm...........
  • I am not grateful for what I have.  I have a feeling I'll love my clothes a lot more now.  I can't wait for more options in the morning!
  • I am capable of looking at other people's outfits and putting together something similar. 
  • I get grumpy when I don't feel like I look good.
  • I feel great when I feel like I look great.
  • I didn't miss shopping {that much}.
It's amazing what a little "out of the box" challenge like this can do for your life perspective.

Thank you Kendi from Kendi Everyday for hosting this event and congrats to all the bloggers who participated {and finished} the challenge!

My 30/30 Re-Cap 
(Dedicated to the brown blazer I bought for $3 but proved to be worth one hundred times it's value.  Oops, I meant, dedicated to Matt and M.E. for taking pictures and dealing with clothing emotional Reagan)
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway. ---->Click Here<---- If you want $50!

9 comments:

  1. Girl, you had some fabulous outfits. Following fellow bloggers on this 30 Remix really has inspired me...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly I was really impressed with the outfits you put together. You are so good with accessories! Maybe you could give some tutorials on using accessories! (please :)I am going to clean out my closet too. I feel like I have so much that I don't wear and someone could really use those pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Reagan! I enjoyed seeing your clothes being paired up differently. It totally inspired me to be more creative with my clothes. I tend to always wear certain shirts with certain pants. I have been trying new combinations and have been surprised at how I can make different things work together and be pulled together with accessories. :) Way to go on finishing...and your red mary janes are super cute. I saw them on some picture on facebook or something. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You did it! So proud of you for taking on this challenge and I think you totally rocked it...all 30 days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with you. Neutrals just aren't the best when you're trying to get the most out of your wardrobe, I found that patterns really made a difference though! You did awesome in the challenge!
    Wearing It On My Sleeves

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the recap - you had some fantastic outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okalie, posted on my blog this afternoon regarding this awesome give-a-way...yyyaayy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was a $3 blazer?! A steal! It looked good in all the outfits you used it in!
    The Auspicious Life

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea and I think all of your outfits look great. I might try something like this once I'm out of maternity clothes.

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)