Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Tuesday's Too Clean Tip--Flight of the Bumblebee

Do you have guests coming for Thanksgiving?

Do you have dust bunnies you want to hide before your guests come?

Do you NOT have enough time?

Source

My home is almost always tidy (I added "almost" because during basement construction, it has pretty much been a dust war zone and I've waved the white flag until the carpet is down.  Honestly, I got tired of vacuuming and dusting three times a day).  However, whenever guests are due to arrive I focus so much on food and fun that I foget *ahem* to clean.

Translation: T -60 minutes until guests come and you can write your name in the dust on my breakfast bar.

If this situation sounds familiar, here's what to do when you have to clean fast.

Get the concept of "heavy" cleaning OUT of your head.

Be realistic.  Now is NOT the time to organize your kids' toys or to alphabetize your book collection.  It is also not the time to dust baseboards, shine your sink, or dust your fans.  It is time to do base-level cleaning (the kind of cleaning that people think "wow, she has it together" until they open that ill-fated closet or junk drawer).

Focus on the rooms your guests will be in (kitchen, bathroom, guest room, and living areas).

At some point in time you'll want to throw in a load of laundry and make your bed but for right now, close doors that need to be closed and turn your attention to the rooms you can't hide.

Tackle the cleaning!
Here's the plan.
  1. Move everything that shouldn't be on the floor--have kids take toys to their rooms, put shoes in the closet, put dirty clothes in the hamper.
  2. Spray fabric softener on your carpets (this will make carpet look fluffy and will make your house smell lovely).
  3. Shake out rugs and sweep your hardwood/tile/laminate flooring.
  4. Vacuum.
  5. Mop.
  6. While floors are drying,  clear away clutter on flat surfaces (including your kitchen counter tops).  DON'T go through it now but put the items away in a bag or drawer or closet until you can attend to it.
  7. Dust flat surfaces: coffee tables, entry way tables, TV, etc. 
  8. Put dishes in dishwasher or wash up dishes.
  9. Wipe down counters and table.
  10. Clean guest bathroom in 5 minutes.
  11. Add fresh towels and toilet paper (LOTS of toilet paper) to the guest bathroom.
  12. Make guest bed.
  13. Clean easily noticeable glass--entryway door, mirrors, etc.
  14. Light a candle and turn on light background music. 
  15. Grab a drink of water.  You did it.
And what you put in the closet will be our little secret.
Source

2 comments:

  1. You don't know how many times I've had to do that! The good thing is those bags and stuff I hide in the closet or cabinet.....if I don't need anything after a week or so, I trash it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this. I totally need to print it out. Thanksgiving dinner was changed last minute (like, today) to our house, and I don't know when the last time I vacuumed was... ugh. :(

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)