Saturday, November 20, 2010

Days of Play--Blessing Tree

A while back I wrote a little diatribe opinion piece on thank you notes (click here to read it).  The purpose: help cultivate an attitude of gratitude in my children. 

I found this idea in my MomSense magazine and loved it.  I loved it so much I did it with my mom's group.

Make a Blessing/Thankful tree!

Source
You will need:
  • a tree branch
  • floral foam
  • pot/vase
  • paper cut into leaf shapes
  • yarn
  • sharpies
What to do:
  1. Cut the floral foam so it fits into your container.
  2. Put the branch in the foam.
  3. Have your children list things they are thankful for or things that are blessings.
  4. Write these on the leaf shaped paper.
  5. Hang the leaves on the branch.
In my opinion, and I could be biased, this is a delightful and inspiring Thanksgiving Table Centerpiece.  As you eat, read the blessings.  Or have an extra leaf by each place setting so guests can add their own and THEN read them.
Source   
Oh, and did I mention that for Christmas you could decorate this with lovely beads and red cardinals for a thankful, Christmas dinner centerpiece?  Snowflakes in January?  Hearts in February?  Shamrocks in March? Apparently this is a pretty versatile craft :)

5 comments:

  1. That's really cute, it's such a cute way for children and adults to express thanks for things. It would also get children into the habit of seeing how much they have rather than wishing they had more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea....thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute. I may just do this with Elijah tomorrow! Thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)