Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What I Think About--P90X

Remember I did that post on loving P90X a while back?

Well, I completed the program ... and I still love it.

I agonized over posting my before and after photos and here's the truth.

You're not gonna see that much of me on here.

To be honest, I'm the sort of person who wishes it was normal to shower in a bathing suit.  If it was possible to never be naked, that would be okay with me (though I think Matt would be upset).

While I won't show you the half-naked before and after photos, I will tell you my results.
  • I lost 15 pounds.
  • I went from a size 6/8 to a 2/4.
  • My body fat percentage went down 2.5%
  • I lost 2.5 inches from my waist and 2 inches from my thighs.
That probably doesn't sound like much.  However, I was in pretty good shape before I started.  P90X did an awesome job refining.  In fact, there is now visible proof that I have at least 4 abs (I'm still pretty sure my other two don't exist but we'll see what Ab Ripper has to say about that next month).  And I can do 50 full on push ups in under a minute and a half.  That skill doesn't come in handy often but at least I get some bragging rights.

Since I've started, and finished, P90X lots of people ask me what I think.  So here it goes.


THE PROS
  • The workouts are well structured, motivating, and make you sweat (if you work it).  I appreciated that I could do as much or little as I wanted.  That being said, someone could dog it for 90 days and see no results so if you decide to try P90X--go all out.
  • Tony Horton is really upbeat.  He tries to be funny (and fails) but at least he's more than a talking head.  To be honest, by the time work out delirium set in (around week 10) I was ready to kill Tony Horton (because no one who is ready to quit really wants to be motivated--they want an excuse to quit).  And for some reason phrases he says all time became hysterical to Matt and I. Our favorite?  Everyone straddle your mat (or Matt).  Um, that's what she (I) said?!?!
  • The variety in the workouts ensure that even though you might hit workout delirium, you won't be bored.  Yoga, kenpo, and plyometrics break up the somewhat mundane weight training days.
  • The diet plan is easy to follow.  Of course I wish there was a "sit on your butt and eat cheesecake and ice cream while watching GLee" diet but that isn't reality.  If you want results, you have to make sacrifices.  And P90X makes it easier by having a food plan you can adapt to fit your lifestyle and caloric needs.



THE CONS
  • P90X is time consuming.  Plan on working out at least 70 minutes a day--90 minutes on yoga day.  Of course then you need to factor in meal planning, shopping for healthy food, getting into and out of workout clothing, etc.  Our date nights and "friend" time really suffered this summer.  Dang it!  If you aren't willing to commit an hour plus a day, this might not be the right workout for you.
  • You need to be in pretty good shape to do P90X.  This seems counter-intuitive (because if you were in good shape you wouldn't need it) but this workout is extreme.  Do the fitness test before starting to make sure it's a good fit.  If you go for it, watch for modifications.  Plyo can be killer on the knees but they give you tips to make it work if you want to work it.
  • Workout delirium set in for me around week 10.  I'm a very disciplined person with a "Goonies never say die" mentality and I really, really, really wanted to quit.  It was time consuming--it was a sacrifice--I hurt everywhere.  I had a million excuses to give up but one to keep me going, Matt.  I highly suggest a workout buddy to keep you motivated and moving when workout delirium sets in.
  • The "suggestive selling" is irritating.  Beach Body makes money off of selling recovery drinks and protein shakes and snack bars.  You'll hear about these items in every workout video.  We get it already--back off.  P.S.  We didn't buy any of their supplements but I can say once we read what was in the recovery drink, we wished we would have splurged on that.
  • Finally, P90X takes a lot of gear. I kind of like routines that require nothing but me showing up.  P90X is NOT one of those workout programs.  If you decide to do P90X, plan on buying hex weights (we tried bands and did not like them or find them effective), a yoga mat, a yoga block, and a pull up bar.  If you don't have this equipment, you won't get the full affect of the program.  If you aren't willing to invest in the gear, skip P90X.
SUMMARY
P90X is an amazing program and I love the way I look and feel after going through the 90 grueling days.  I have guns, abs, a slim waist, and a ton of energy.

This workout was good for me--make sure it is right for you.   

If you aren't willing to give the program a substantial amount of your time and energy, it probably isn't a good fit (and it's expensive so make sure you really want to do it before you spend the money, honey!).

If you are ready to make some serious changes in your health, body, and diet and you're going to "bring it" then check out P90X.

 


What I think about P90X?  "I hate it--but I love it" ~Tony Horton~

1 comment:

  1. 50 push ups? In a row? That's impressive...for a girl. Great review, would of loved to see some before and after pictures though :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)