Thursday, October 14, 2010

{FALL} Things I Love--Healthy Pumpkin Chip Muffins

A month or so ago a friend posted a recipe for healthier pumpkin chocolate chip muffins on her facebook page.  The link took me this recipe at The Frugally Rich Life.

I tried it once and fell in love.

Then I decided to tweak it--a bit.

Okay, all I did was substitute natural, unsweetened applesauce for the oil.  Wa La!  Sugar free (well, except for the chocolate chips), oil free, healthy pumpki chocolate chip muffins.

Source: The Frugally Rich Life


Here's the slightly altered muffin recipe.

1 egg
1/2 c. honey
1/2 c. pureed pumpkin (fresh or canned)
1/2 c. milk (any percent but skim is best)
1/4 c. natural, unsweetened applesauce (or oil)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour (use white if you must)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 t cinnamon
1 c. dark chocolate chips (or semi-sweet)

Stir together first five, wet ingredients. Add in next five dry ingredients. Stir until just mixed. Put in greased muffin tins. Bake 375 for 18 minutes.

Makes 12 regular sized muffins OR 36 mini-muffins.

FYI--You can fill the tins pretty full since these do not rise much.

5 comments:

  1. I got this from facebook too(probably the same person's page)...I've made them 3 or 4 times now. I also substitute the apple sauce for oil. Everyone in my family has enjoyed them! :) Mmmm...maybe I will whip some up tonight again! :)

    We even give them to Simeon...he is such a second child!! I would have never have given 14 month old Eli them because of the chocolate. I do make a few without chocolate chips...but he usually ends up getting some with the chocolate too! :) Ha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny made these when I stayed there a couple weeks ago and sent some home with me. It was a great birthday breakfast (and still great for the next few breakfasts...)! So yummy! :) -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shelly--I agree. The second kids get all the breaks!

    @Megan--I'm glad you like them. Healthy and yummy is a favorite! Next time you are so close you'll have to let us know. We'd travel 1.5 hrs to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad that you like this! I'm so happy that you were able to sub applesauce too! I'll have to try that! :) I haven't made these in quite a while and will definitely have to make them again soon!

    Thanks for featuring me on your blog!!
    Ariana Anderson
    The Frugally Rich Life
    www.thefrugallyrichlife.wordpress.com
    GF, dairy-free, refined sugar-free recipes and frugality (+ traditional "non-allergy" recipe too)
    thefrugallyrichlife AT gmail.com
    Twitter: FrugallyRichAri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and you can make them sugar-free---completely---by using my recipe for sugar-free chocolate chips....http://thefrugallyrichlife.wordpress.com/2010/03/26/gf-gluten-free-dairy-free-sugar-free-vegan-homemade-frugal-chocolate-chips/

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)