Thursday, October 7, 2010

{FALL} Things I Love: Geese

I have this friend, Debb, who insists that all sunsets are for her sole enjoyment.  I don't know about that.



What I do know is that I long for those fall days when Canada geese fly overhead on their way South.

For as long as I can remember I've had a thing for Canada geese (by the way, Canada Geese is the correct term--they are NOT Canadian geese).

I love their deep, throaty honks and the color of their feathers.  I love the way they fly is misshapen Vs.

Whenever I see Canada geese I think of drinking tea and my grandma and grandpa's in Portage La Prairie, Manitoba. 

When I hear their honks I remember the three geese who flew to Buffalo, WY in 1995 and spent the whole winter in the outdoor pool there.

I know it is silly but whenever I hear and see geese I'm convinced God is looking my way saying, "that's for you."

One day in July of this year, I heard a lone goose flying overhead when I was outside watering my basil.  It had been a particularly awful day for me and I was feeling ambushed and overwhelmed.  And there was a goose honking.  A small reminder that brought the lyrics of "My Favorite Things" to my head, a smile on my face, and a reminder--that God is good.



I guess what I'm really saying is Debb can keep her sunsets and I'll take the geese.

No comments:

Post a Comment

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)