Thursday, October 21, 2010

{FALL} Things I Love--Creamy Tomato Spinach Soup

When fall winds start to blow, I break out the stock pot.  After a summer hiatus from soups and chili I'm dying for a steamy bowl of "comfort food" goodness.

My mom's corn chowder is a personal favorite.  And taco soup is a recipe everyone loves. 

A couple of weekend's ago we went to a bistro on a double date and the soup of the day was creamy tomato spinach.

It was a-maz-ing.

I almost staged a sit-in until they gave me the recipe.

Unfortunately they bribed me with Chocolate Sin cheesecake and I left satisfied--but without the recipe.

Dang it.

I knew I would have to try and recreate the yummy goodness.  So I did.

Confession: This soup is really, really good.  It's no "Jeffry's Bistro" creamy tomato spinach but it was close!

Photo Source
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 lb fresh plum tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
  • I leek slicked thin (white and green parts)
  • 2 cups fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, cleaned and chopped
  • 1 can evaporated milk
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat and add the onion and leeks. Sauté until softened--about 4 minutes.
2. Cut tomatoes in half.  Squeeze gently to remove seeds.
3. Stir in the tomatoes and cook until tomatoes are tender--about 5 minutes.
4. Transfer mixture into a blender and puree until smooth, return to pot.
5. Add in the broth and bring to a boil.
6. Add in the spinach and basil and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.
7. Pour in evaporated milk and cook over medium heat until warmed through.
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

Alternatives--Use vegetable broth to make vegetarian.  Omit milk or use soy milk and vegetable broth to make vegan.

To make heartier:  Add 1 cup of cooked, brown rice or 1 can (drained and rinsed) chickpeas.
I served this with garlic cheese toast.
To make:
Cut a loaf of french bread into 1.5 inch pieces.  Spray or brush with olive oil.  Dust with garlic powder.  Sprinkle on dried basil.  Top with a few sprinkles of mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.  Broil until toast is golden and cheese is melted.
Photo Source




No comments:

Post a Comment

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)