Saturday, October 23, 2010

Days of Play--An Apple a Day

So the old saying is that an apple a day keeps the doctor away.  I don't doubt the nutritious benefits of apples (after all, they are my all-time favorite fruit) but I whole-heartedly believe that laughter is the best medicine.  And what can make you laugh more than your little children?!?!

Today, take a "health" day today and have laugh with the "apple" of your eye.

Is there an apple orchard near by?  Go pick some apples.

No orchard?  Try a farmers market or the grocery store.

Look at the apples.  Discuss the color with your kids.  Maybe get 2-3 different kinds/colors and discuss the colors, tastes, and textures.

Photo from Martha Stewart


When you are done discussing apples, make an apple craft.

I suggest apple print bags.

You will need:

paper lunch sacks
knife (only adults should handle knives)
red, green, and yellow paints
newspapers
art smocks

What to do:
  1. Lay down newspaper on the work area.
  2. Put kids in art smocks.
  3. Cut the apples--in half long ways or around (around makes a star)
  4. Lightly paint the apple or dip in paint
  5. Print it onto a bag.
  6. Let dry.


Now what will you do with all those delightful little bags?

Well, fill them with goodies and take them to neighbors, of course!


I suggest Caramel Apples because the apple would fit so nicely in one of the sacks and they are fun to make (click here to make these wonder"fall" caramel apples).

Photo from A Little Tipsy


1 comment:

  1. I think this would be really fun to do on canvas paper and frame for some cute Fall art!

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)