Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What I Think About--What Marraiage IS

I recently read an article about what marriage ISN'T.

The article was written in hopes of making sure no one had expectations for marriage that were unrealistic, or heaven forbid, too high!  According to the author, here's what marriage ISN'T.

Marriage isn't
  • A cure for lonliness
  • An escape from boredom
  • A rowdy sex romp
  • A means to a make-over
  • An easy transition
From complete fantasy land, I understand why this was written. I'm married and I've been lonely.  I've been bored.  Sex hasn't always been great.  Matt and I didn't change overnight (Really, he needed to do the changing.  ha ha!).  It was tough to adjust at first.

That being said, I will say that I am way less lonely now.  I'm rarely bored.  We have sex often and it is awesome.  I have changed for the better, because of Matt and marriage, so the difficult transition was worth it!

What I really want to know is why we spend so much time on what marriage isn't and not a lot of time on what marriage is.

Marriage is:
  • Selflessly regarding the other as more important than yourself.
  • Sacrificing for the good of the whole.
  • Compromising.
  • Compassionately caring for one another.
  • Passionately pursuing one another.
  • Persistently encouraging and supporting one another (especially on days when you don't want to).
  • Romantically spending time together.
  • Fighting through the hard times--together!
  • Working hard to make it work.
  • Sharing inside jokes, secret glances, sexy smiles, broken hearts, fears, big disappointments, and small victories.
What I think is marriage is awesome. It isn't easy.  It isn't always fun.  It is worth it.



What IS marriage to you?

1 comment:

  1. Great Post. I so needed to read that.
    So as for your question. I'm still workin on it. :)

    ReplyDelete

{Reverse Psychology}
I DO NOT like comments. Whatever you do, don't leave me a comment about this post or your thoughts or any connections you have to what I wrote. Seriously, I don't care.
(Did that reverse psychology work???)